Chapter Twenty Three

• Dedicated to All my nosy friends whom I love to pieces and can stand my sentimental shizzle :

They decided to skip the rest of dinner. The awkwardness arrived when they couldn't just up and leave so to speak. A hasty debate quickly ensured and then dispersed with the solution. As inconspicuously as possible - not easy to do when you're a social outcast and a demigod freak of nature (which, truly, should have it's own globally recognised achievement in itself!) - but they managed it. They scoffed as much as their mouths could hold and pocketed the rest; squishing it into niches in the lining of the pockets. Eventually they ran out of room and had to contend with mushing the remaining scraps into two pliable balls and holding them in the palm of their hands. On reflection it would've been a lot easier - and a heck of a lot less messier - to just eat the damn stuff! However Artemis didn't think she could stomach it. Her body was tense with fear and worry for Percy. Jon didn't seem as concerned as he jerked his head towards the fire. They trundled off to it, glancing this way and that, and as they reached it, it appeared to glow a little brighter. Cheeks starting to ache, Artemis didn't waste any time projecting the disgusting mush into the fire. Covering it up, she pretended to have a violent coughing fit as she emptied her pockets and hands. Jon proceeded to do the same but with more poise than Artemis could ever achieve. Pompous sod must've had acting lessons: thought Artemis to herself as she began to cough for real. Someone from the nearest table jogged over and handed her a glass of water, she managed to nod thanks before taking one large swig which just exasperated the situation even further. Jon thumped her hard on the back and helped her to take small sips.

So, not as inconspicuous as she'd have liked, but on the good side: Mission Accomplished!

Able to actually walk properly now, they slipped off into the darkness wiping their greasy hands on their t-shirts. Then Jon tripped over. Typical. As he did up his shoelace in the gloom of the shadows Artemis took the opportunity to observe the fire. It was slightly obscured by the long, dark shadows of the trees but it was visible. It had grown. Obviously the gods enjoyed seconds, the greedy guts! The smell wafted over to her, it was a lovely, homely, kitchen smell; in compliance with her human nature she sniffed at her own hand that had recently been clasping the same stuff. She staggered back and almost fell over Jon crouched on the floor. Her hand reeked of sick, which was probably the amylase - it most definitely wasn't pleasant. She had to find a tap, and quick before she did a Pettigrew and cut her own hand off. Jon appeared to have arrived at the same conclusion.

"The Athenian cabin's near a fountain. Kill two birds with one stone?" He enquired.

"Yeah. Definitely."

The matter of the food successfully sorted with meant that Artemis' mind wandered back to matters that were overall more important than a smelly hand. Despite the crude remarks Jon was making about Annabeth and Percy, Artemis was really quite worried. If Percy was who Jon said he was then surely he'd have a few enemies? Enemies who'd want him friendless, tortured, and dead.

Absentmindedly, Artemis washed off her grimy hands from a foot away from the faucet and dried them on her shorts. Jon muttered something and stalked over to it. Meanwhile Artemis studied the owl muriels that watched them. Upon entering the cabin it didn't get better, the effect was unnerving to begin with and after a while became unsettling. Jon found a game of chess in the corner and began swapping the pawns and bishops.

"Jon."

"What?" He looked up, surprised to see Artemis frowning down at him.

"Sheesh, Arty, I'm only playing the game. See? White's now in checkmate."

Artemis considered the board and confirmed Jon's statement.

"Okay, but it's obvious they're not here, we ought to try my cabin."

"Gotcha," he saluted goofily and suddenly stiffened. His eyes focused beyond Artemis on something behind her. Protectively he grabbed her waist and pulled her so she was now staring at his back. He was shielding her from something. Artemis could see the hairs on the back of his neck rise, in time with her own. His torso also rose and fell in the same quickened, hasty, yet steady pace of breathing that occured only when one was terrified out of their wits. What Artemis didn't see was Jon's complexion pale considerably and pupils dilate as he blanched in fear.

Stepping out from behind him, Artemis was about to demand what was going on, when she glimpsed a dark shape before her vision was blocked by a shaking hand. Artemis didn't take kindly to not beong able to see what was going on and hastily pulled his hand away. Either she was stronger than she thought or Jon was in shock, anyhow his arm gave way from beneath hers and she saw it too.

It was more awful than the beast she'd encountered in her own, familiar cabin. And this time Jon saw it too. It glared at them with scarlet, cold, bottomless eyes for what seemed an eternity. It was hooded and its cloak swayed around it in a manner that suggested that it was alive, yet lifeless of its own accord: there was no breeze as it swirled around the shadowy figure. There was no solid substance to this otherworldly figure at all, but there was no doubt that it was real. The absence of creaking cabin, and silence of the trees was proof enough. Artemis half expected a snake's tongue to appear slithering from underneath the hood, all green, pointed, and tapered. However there was no such occurence and Artemis had to settle for the indescernible dip of its head as it stalked away from the pair.

Exhaling slowly, her hair lowered from its upright state and her breathing returned to a regular, normal pace. Artemis grasped Jon's arm and cautiously studied the barrage of emotions that flickered across his face. They were unreadable. One remained more prominent than the others. If Jon had hackles they would be raised and he was frozen to the spot.

"You saw it too?" She asked gently.

"Yep." He popped the puh sound at the end despite his voice being devoid of any emotion. It was in this moment that Artemis noticed yet again the strongest emotion that fell across his features: Jon was terrified.

Welcome to my world: she mused.

~~~

Hey, sorry I can't remember when I last updated - oops :-P

Anywho, I think I may pull out of the Watty Awards as there is no way I will finish this in time. Which is a real shame, I know :( but these things happen and procrastination is the love of my life. :-P

Vote, Comment, Share if you believe it worthy of your praise and choccie cookies to every single one of you!

:) x