Chapter Seventeen

Archery was first. Artemis used up all her beginner's luck in her first shot and never revealed any hidden talent for it either. Jon wasn't that much better. They were, in fact, so bad that their instructor eventually left the rest of the class - all twelve or thirteen year olds - to their own devices and came over to help. Artemis wished her quiver was big enough to hide her from view. Cheeks flushed red with embarassment, they were forcefully instructed as to how to hold the bow so they "wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot" and by drawing it back too vigorously could "splinter the wood" - Artemis began to suspect the demigod wasn't adverse to hyperbole: they weren't that bad. In the corner the class were sniggering, Jon gave up and started playing up to it, much to their amusement. Thankfully, one fell over due to his mirth and became tangled up in his quiver; smirking, Artemis pointed it out and their exasperated instructor rushed over to help.

When she was gone Artemis took this as an opportunity to talk without reprimand.

"What cabin are you?" She muttered from the corner of her mouth, twanging her bow with satisfaction.

"Forty-Two," he replied, a small smirk on his lips.

"No. Really?"

"Eleven." Artemis gave him a look, how was she supposed to know whose cabin was whose?!

Noticing, he sighed, "Hermes." He began to smile as she cocked her bow, "you?"

"69," she replied as sarcastically as she could with the effort not being used to pull back the string. She let it go. Bullseye.

"Beat that IM," she challenged triumphantly.

"IM?"

"Instant Messenger, of course," she explained patiently, leaning on her bow as she did so. He narrowed his eyes and took aim at the target.

Crack!

He looked over his shoulder to see Artemis sprawled among the remains of her bow and looking very surprised. He snorted with laughter, let the arrow go and went to help her out. Their tutor was shaking her head in despair.

"I can see why you're called Artemis: the resemblance is uncanny."

"Oh haha," she replied sarcastically as he pulled her up. She gestured towards the splintered wood, "I better go, err, explain what happened." She shuffled over to where their teacher stood, hands on hips, a stern expression adorning her face. Jon couldn't help but laugh.

Artemis got her own back, vengeance was so sweet. On their way to Ancient Greek with Annabeth they took a shortcut past the Aphrodite cabin where a few of them were sunning themselves. Almost immediately Jon began to show off. Sensing her chance, Artemis began to concentrate on her gut feeling. The spigot began to dribble, the flow grew stronger until a torrent was pouring out of the spout. Having a sudden Matilda moment was fun, Artemis reflected as it sprayed directly at the nape of his neck.

"Hey!" He cried, turning around. The water squirted him in the mouth and he began to choke and dribble. The Aphrodite crew burst into melodious laughter as they watched Jon sputter, it was a nice, twinkling sound to hear. Either that or the nymphs found it as hilarious as she did. Artemis was almost doubled up with suppressed laughter. In vain Jon tried to dodge the jets of water spurting his way but soon he was soaked from head-to-toe. Artemis slowly shut off the water and ambled - squelched as she neared him - over to where he stood, dripping water onto the ground. He shook his head as if he was a dog, splattering her face with water droplets as he did so. His bright eyes gleamed from under his drowned rat mop of hair.

"Where were we going again?" She asked innocently.

"Ancient Greek," he answered promptly.

"Okay, shall we go? We don't want to be -"

"Yep." Suddenly he grabbed her by the waist and hugged her tight.

"Jon!" She was as wet as he was, which wasn't the plan at all. This was meant to be revenge! He grinned in return and started wringing out his shirt.

"Come on Anenenomee," he cried jogging off. Artemis, spurred on by the euphoria left by her watery antics, soon joined him.

~~~

Hey, so I said I'd update more than once but I felt so terribly awful. I'm sorry. Anywayz, long chapter to make up for misleading you so hope you like it!

Oh, and I can't think up nicknames at all, I'm terrible at it but Finding Nemo deserves a place, don't you think?

Hope you have/ have had a lovely day! :) x