Chapter Fifteen

She sat there at breakfast - alone - thinking. All this self-pitying wasn't very appealing, in fact it was probably pushing people away. That was all well and good in some cases, but she did want someone she could talk to - who wasn't her big brother. She had to sort herself out... starting tommorow, today was her bad day. For the first time she seriously considered that she was homesick, pining for: bowler hats and suits, red telephone boxes, London taxis, rain - on second thoughts, she could do without the british weather.

Someone on the table next to her stood up and Artemis automatically reached for her glass. The camper didn't notice, but just took her fruit and made their way across to a dwindling fire. Peering over the edge of her glass, Artemis noted others doing the same. They were all offering the gods the most important meal of the day: breakfast. You think the gods could feed themselves, she thought rebelliously. The campers dropped toast, fruit, and cereal bars all into the fire which appeared to grow larger. Artemis wasn't going to bother, she didn't want her - she glanced down into her bowl - thrown back into her face. She entertained herself for a while with trying to figure out what the tasteless bowl of sawdust was actually meant to be. Oh for cheerios! Oh for british food: hot sausage and mustard, cold jelly and custard, pease pudding and saveloys... she realised she was humming and stopped abruptly. At least she hadn't tried to sing with the spoon!

A shadow paused at her own.

"Aren't you going to offer any of that?"

"How?" She dipped her hand into her bowl, "sprinkle it over the flames?" She pretended to do so and the mushy torpedoes slipped through her fingers and splashed back into the bowl. Casually she dried her hand on her jeans, that was gonna smell awful later on but it wasn't as if anyone would really care.

The boy scowled, "you should."

"What? And have it spat right back at me?"

"You'll make the gods angry."

"They're already angry at me," Artemis pouted. She immediately felt guilty; he hadn't offended her in any way; he hadn't done anything to her. Hades! He'd even tried to help her! It wasn't his fault she was in such a black mood.

"Okay," she grumbled, juggling her bowl with one hand, she pushed herself up and headed towards the fire. Not at all confident, she copied her previous action. She flinched away and watched it closely. Nothing happened. Quickly and quietly she scooted back to the bench and collapsed upon it. Releasing the breath she hadn't realised she was holding, she smiled up at the camper. He grinned widely.

"Jonathon," he said, proffering his hand.

"Artemis," she replied, taking it.

And that was the beginning of a blossoming friendship.

~~~

Hey guys, thanks for reading this far! And thanks for fanning some of you. It means a lot to me.

I lost my first version of this chapter :'( when my phone decided to have a mental moment so this is different to what it should have been. :-P

No copyright infringement, or product placement intended. I mentioned cheerios because I feel they deserve a place... and there we are :)

Ta ta for now guys. I'll upload again soon! :) x