Chapter Twenty-Two

Ramona walked into the school after lunch the next day, alone and holding her bag on her shoulder. The halls filled with students trying to get to their fourth period before they were late. As she walked, she saw her sister standing at the lockers, talking to Cesare and smiling brightly. He was all she could talk about since she met him yesterday, and Ramona was just about over it. She still listened to Alice, seeing as they were close sisters, but she had no interest in it, and she had a bad feeling about Cesare.

There was some characteristic about Cesare that made a shiver travel down Ramona's spine. She immediately disliked him the day he walked into that classroom and gave Mr. Norenza those papers. Ramona had never spoken to Cesare, and she had no plans to do it unless she had to for her sister. She caught him looking at her at times, and it did nothing but freak her out. It was like she knew him, from somewhere she couldn't identify. Not to mention, he seemed like the kind of guy that would have Alice hanging by a thread all the time, never actually committing to her. Anyone who hurt her sister was bad in Ramona's books.

Rolling her eyes, she walked off to her classroom for English, which was the one class Ramona didn't take with her sister. Alice took advanced English at this hour, which was just English class at a higher level. As Ramona made her way over there, Alice took her arm to stop her and said her name. Ramona stopped to see her sister, Cesare taking in her every move as he looked at her.

"Cesare wants to go to the movies later. We were wondering if you wanted to come along?" Alice offered. Ramona was never one to enjoy socializing with anyone except her sister, who unlike Ramona, had other friends of her own. Neither of them were popular amongst the student body, for the reason that everyone thought their mother was an exorcist because she worked inside the Vatican, but Alice was the one who was always socializing with the friends she had. There were three or four of them she was always with. Two boys and two other girls.

"I don't know, I have a lot of homework to do," Ramona said. She didn't have a single paper due, but she was unsure as to whether she wanted to go out. She was a little awkward in social situations and had a hard time relating to other people.

"Please, Ramona? It's just a movie, and if you want to go home I'm sure mom will come and get you. It's Friday, live a little! Please, honey?" Alice pleaded to her sister. Ramona didn't know how to say no when it came to her baby sister pleading for time with her. So she then accepted on the pressure of Alice, and received a hug in return. Alice said her goodbyes to both her and Cesare, and then left without another word, leaving Ramona with this man that made her terribly uncomfortable.

"So you're the famous Ramona? I've heard a lot about you," Cesare said. Ramona looked at Cesare with a serious expression that didn't seem to affect him at all. Ramona wasn't trying to be rude, but something kept telling her Cesare was nothing to be involved with.

"I wouldn't call myself that. Did Alice talk about me?" She asked. Cesare shook his head.

"A little, but I mostly heard it from the rest of the school. What have you done for such recognition, Ramona?" He asked. When he said her name it was like ice being thrown at her face. At the same time she hated him saying it, she also quite enjoyed it. His voice was like velvet, smooth and somber. Still, she didn't let her hormones get the best of her. She was good like that, she always managed to keep her composure.

"Rumours. Like any other school. This one just happens to be the worst one," Ramona replied. Cesare chuckled and smirked at her in a strange way. She brushed it off, trying to forget about it as she looked away for a small moment.

"Well, I should get to class. You should too. I guess I'll see you tonight," she said to him before she adjusted her grip on her textbooks and began to leave.