Chapter Six

We woke up, or I woke up, early. Gabriel and I left right after I was dressed and ready. I was getting pretty tired of wearing the same clothes for three days straight. I would have to buy some new clothes after Gabriel would return to Heaven after the ritual. It felt a little depressing to know that he would be back and never see me again. We had been through a lot together in the short time I knew him, and now it'll be thrown away because of his leave.

"Why wouldn't you let me get a flight ticket?" I asked as we left the room.

"Because I have a quicker mode of transportation. Check out and then we will go. We need to make good time," Gabriel replied. He didn't say anything further, and I didn't try to press on. So I went to the old couple to check out again. They smiled kindly at me again.

"Where are you two off too?" The man asked. I looked back at Gabriel, who was standing on the sidewalk doing nothing, looking like he was lost. They must have thought he and I were a couple of some sort.

"Flying to New York today," I replied. The woman smiled along with her husband and laughed.

"I remember when we went. We were probably not much older than you. Such a lovely time!" She said. I smiled at them as they gave me the receipt.

"So what are you two doing up there?" The man asked.

"Coney Island," I said.

...

"Okay, please clarify what we are doing instead of flying?" I asked. Gabriel was still dispassionate on telling me what he totally meant when he said he knew what to do. If he was about to pull some weird angel thing on me I was not prepared to allow him such.

"Just hold my hand. We will get there," he replied. I didn't know what he was talking about, but I took his hand anyway. Better to trust an angel than anyone else, I figured. When my hand touched his, a gust of hard and cold wind blew into my face and hair. Light filled the area and the hotel and the trees and all of it was completely gone. It was like travelling down a winding tunnel of completely white light and noise. The sound when we travelled was excruciating, like an extremely high pitched scream coming from a tortured soul. It was enough to bring me to my knees and stop me from holding onto Gabriel's hand and move them to my ears to cover them. It was as if it lasted for ten horrible seconds before it all stopped and I felt the light leave my eyes and the sound leave my ears. I looked up to find blue skies and a few seagulls flying across it in a V shape. Cloudless blue sky filled my eyes and I looked down to see I was sitting on a wooden dock. Gabriel was standing beside me looking down at my sitting figure.

"A warning would have been nice, you know," I scolded as Gabriel held out his hand to stand me up. I took it and stood, my height still not equal to his. Who knew angels were so tall. Or am I just short?

"My apologies. I'll warn you next time. Don't you think we should proceed with this ritual?" Gabriel asked. I shook my head as I looked at the paper.

"Not yet. We have to wait until midnight and it's going to have to be on the beach. So we have eleven hours until we have to start," I replied. Which was exactly why I wanted to fly here on an airplane. Then we wouldn't have to wait so long. But I don't know I guess I'm just the insane human that doesn't know anything.

"Don't say that. You know many things. Anyway, I'm not accustomed to those air contraptions you mortals have built. As impressive as they stand I will not be inside of one. So, what will we do in the meantime?" Gabriel asked. I rolled my eyes. Why did he have to read my thoughts like that? It would have to pass. It's up to me what to do now.

"Well, we are in Coney Island. Do you want me to show you the ropes of a giant amusement park?" I asked. He looked around the area, surveying the land like there was something to find here. It almost made me snicker out loud at the thought of Gabriel on a roller coaster or a Ferris wheel. If he says yes those are the first rides we will be going on.