Chapter Twenty

I woke up in bed laying on my stomach and naked. I exhaled and turned on to my back, and ran a hand through my hair. I was alone in bed, but I knew I didn't fall asleep that way. Gabriel was gone, he must have left a few hours after I fell asleep. I sighed and sat my sore body up in bed. I rubbed my eyes with my hands and started to cry a bit. I wouldn't see him again after this. I was lucky and fortunate enough to see him last night. I knew the girls would not remember him coming over here, so I wouldn't have any questions about him. That almost saddened me, I had almost wanted them to ask about him. I don't know, maybe it's just hormones.

I got myself out of bed and put on some clothes before I left the room and woke up the girls by calling them by the door. I walked up to the kitchen and got a pot of coffee prepared and a pan heating on the oven to make some bacon and eggs for the girls. Ramona and Alice came in wearing their pajamas and holding the matching teddy bears they had. I smile at them, hiding my sadness from them. I never let them see me upset, I wasn't about to subject them to that.

"Momma can we have pancakes?" Alice asked as I heated up the pan. I did plan on making bacon and eggs, but I could make pancakes instead. I honestly did not care about what I was cooking. So I told them that I would and started to prepare the batter. I made the batter on the pan look like a Mickey Mouse head for Alice and a butterfly for Ramona. I actually loved making pictures with the batter, I always did. It was something that helped me enjoy myself when I was sad about Gabriel.

I heard a knock on the door and I left the girls to their pancakes to answer it. I opened the door and saw Ferruccio at the door. I said hello and invited him inside, he walked in and said hello to the girls, who greeted him back and said his name wrong, as they always did. He didn't mind though, he knew his name was hard to pronounce to five year olds. They always ended up saying 'Fettuccio' instead of his real name. I offered him some pancakes, but he kindly declined saying he would be out quickly, and that he was in a hurry.

"I just needed to speak with you, about that information you called me about a while ago," he said. I remember calling Ferruccio last night about Lucifer's son. He told me he would find what I need and check in with me when he found it. I nodded at him and told the girls we'd be back in a minute. I closed my door behind us when we entered the foyer and he placed the file folder he held on the coffee table.

"You found him?" I asked.

"Yes, when you informed me he was in Florence, it was much easier to find. He is living in an apartment complex with his mother Sophia Morreccio. I have the street and complex number in the file, but I wonder, why did you want to know so much? You aren't planning on going there, are you?" Ferruccio asked. I nodded as I took the file in hand and held it against my stomach.

"I need to tell Sophia about this. She is Cesare's mother, she needs to know it for the sake of him. She clearly doesn't know who Lucifer really was, and she is most likely convinced he was just a bad man who didn't stay with their child. I need to tell her the truth, or how is she ever going to raise that boy right, so he can do good in the world instead of his father," I replied. He sighed and nods his head in understanding.

"Then you must go. Perhaps I should attend this meeting with you, as a source of moral support," Ferruccio reasoned.

"That would be nice, thank you," I said.

--------------

Three Days Later...

The sound of the train rang through my ears as Ferruccio and I prepared for the two hour train ride to Florence. I said goodbye to my children with hugs and kisses, and hugged my mother, who was watching Ramona and Alice while we were gone, and I entered the train with him. I decided not to take the car, seeing as Eurostar train service was a shorter arriving time than driving.