Baby You're All That I Want

Chapter Five

After we made it back to the house she suggested we both go to bed...separately. I spent the entire night thinking about her. She assured me we were both ok. In fact she said we were more than ok, she just needed to slow it down a bit. I understood what she needed. She needed this to be on her own terms. It would be foolish of me to think she was ready for a relationship right now anyway. It was like we both kept changing our minds. She wanted to get together and I wanted to wait or vice versa. It was slightly comical.

Over the course of the next few days I started to notice some changes. One of the first things that I noticed was that she had started to join Joe and I on our daily run. Surprisingly she kept up pretty well and seemed to enjoy the exercise. She skipped out on our intense crossfit style workouts though and instead opted to do yoga. Neither Joe and I minded. She was somewhat of a distraction however while doing certain poses. One of the days she convinced us to join her and that was a sight to see. I don't think the three of us have ever laughed so hard. Watching Joe attempt to do yoga was a lot like watching someone trying to stick a square peg in a round hole. It just didn't fit. Taylor took a couple pictures and got a good laugh from the whole ordeal.

I started to notice something else about her. She was dressing differently. I had gotten so used to her very fashionable sense of style that I had forgotten she was a t-shirt and jeans kind of girl growing up. More often than not she would wear skinny jeans and band shirts. She started to wear knit caps and snap backs again. She'd lounge around in baggy sweats and Jordan's. She also started to wear the typical daisy dukes and bikini top that most girls wore around the beach. I was pretty partial to that look.

She had started to remind me of that seventeen year old girl that wasn't afraid of anything. I remember the way she used to longboard around the neighborhood, barefoot and oblivious to the world. It seemed like lifetimes ago. She used to love watching sappy movies and eating pickles. Chances are if it was unhealthy or it made you cry, she loved it. I remember when we had our horror movie marathons and our countless sleepovers. We'd stay up all night talking about our dreams and our hopes for the future. Things were much simpler back then, not that they're overly complicated now it was just different. The future was so unknown and we both had a completely different picture of what our lives would be.

I had always dreamed of becoming a musician. I'd be famous and tour the world. That of course never came to pass. In all honesty, I never even tried. As I got older fame became unappealing. I wanted a simpler more quiet life. I still made music, just not on a grand scale. I sat on the bar stool and strummed my guitar. I started playin the first random song that popped into my head. The entire time I sang, Vince adjusted the sound and stage equipment. It was my version of a sound check.

"When I close my eyes I can hear you singing to a sold out stadium. Everyone is screaming your name and singing along." Selena smiled as she strolled through the front door.

"You have the quite the imagination."

"Would you like to hear about the rest of the ways I imagine you?" She smirked, raising an eyebrow.

I laughed. "I guess I have that effect on people."

"Seriously Dem." She said as she plopped down on a bar stool. "Why didn't you ever go for it?"

"I'm a simple person Sel. I don't need all of the lights and fame. I've got all I need right here." I explained. "I'm happy with my life. It's pretty much perfect."

"Now all you need is a wife." Ruby cut in as she wiped down the bar, her Australian accent almost comical.

Selena gave her the "yeah, it's never going to be you so back the fuck off look." It was quite humorous. Things between the two of them have them had been tense since they were first introduced to each other. Selena was aware that Ruby and I had a casual relationship and Ruby could tell that Selena and I had a very deep connection. They were jealous of each other. Ruby had started to hang on me more. I didn't really mind affection from people that I cared about but it bothered me why she was doing it. She did it just to piss Selena off. It worked too.