Gimme Shelter

Chapter Six

I'll always remember the day Gracie was born. The second she came out, Selena facetimed me. She was crying tears of pure joy. The entire family was ecstatic. I was so thankful she shared that moment with me. It was so moving I ditched my classes for a few days and flew out to Texas. I had to meet her. I wanted to be a part of her first few days of life. She was so tiny the first time I held her. I'll never forget the way Selena looked sitting in that rocking chair cradling her little sister in her arms. It was a perfect moment. I committed it to memory and I carry it with me wherever I go. When I saw her holding Gracie, I immediately imagined her holding our daughter. The thought damn near floored me.

"You wanna hold her?" She asked me softly.

I nodded and smiled. I was at a loss for words. I was stunned.

She stood up and told me to sit. I settled in the chair and she lowered Gracie into my arms.

"Make sure you support her head." She instructed.

I had never been so amazed in my entire life. I stared down at the tiny person in my arms and I could only think one thing. I want one. As I studied her tiny face I realized she looked a lot like Brian. Her forehead was all scrunched up and she looked worried. Yup. Brian.

"She's perfect." I said smiling at Selena. "How's your mom and dad doing?"

"They're good. She's resting. You can visit her if you want. She'll be happy to see you."

I stayed in Texas for a few more days but eventually I had to get back to school. My classes weren't going to pass themselves. As I sat on the plane on my way back to Colorado, I realized that yet another Russo girl had stolen my heart.

Joe and I sat on the front steps of the house anxiously waiting for Selena and Gracie to get home. We both looked like a couple of unmedicated kids suffering from ADHD. We could not sit still. Joe would occasionally spit sunflower seeds at me and I'd throw sand at him. It was all very becoming behavior for adults.

I nearly jumped ten feet in the air when I saw the jeep coming toward the house.

"She's here!" Joe smiled, his eyes twinkling with excitement.

Selena pulled into the driveway and parked the jeep. I saw Gracie in the backseat pushing herself up so she could see out the window. As soon as she saw Joe and I, her face lit up in a smile.

"Demiiiiiiiiiiii." She squealed as she ran into my outstretched arms.

I immediately scooped her up and twirled her around. She giggled and it was magical. Her tiny arms wrapped sound my neck and squeezed as tight as they possibly could. The entire time Selena watched us with one of the most intense looks I'd ever seen on her face. I couldn't really describe it because I'd actually never seen it before. It was new.

"Did you miss me?" I asked her with a smile.

"Yes." she smiled as she gave me a kiss on the cheek.

"Come her you!" Joe said as he approached me and I passed her to him.

She grabbed him and hugged him tightly. "Your face is all scratchy." She exclaimed.

"I know baby. I need to shave." He said sweetly which earned him a smile and a kiss on his scratchy face.

He put her down and she grabbed my hand as we walked into the house. He had such little hands.

"Who's that?" She asked as she hid behind my leg when she saw Taylor.

"That's Taylor. Do you wanna say hi?"

Taylor knelt down and offered the six year old her hand. "Hi." She said sweetly. "It's nice to meet you."

Falling Into Youजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें