I Won't Let Go

Chapter One

I stood in the baggage claim pacing back and forth. Her plane landed a few minutes ago and I was anxious to see her. It had been over a year since we had last seen each other. She lived in New York and since she recently broke off her engagement, she wanted a change of scenery. The last couple of months had taken their toll on her and she needed somewhere to clear her head. I immediately offered her the extra bedroom in my house and surprisingly, she accepted. She had shipped most of her household belongings already. Taylor and Joe helped me clear out space for all of it in the house. We wanted her to feel welcome when she arrived so we unpacked it and added her belongings to ours. It was interesting how everything seemed to match. I guess it was just fates way of telling us we were all meant to cohabitate.

I first met her when we were both seven years old. Back then it was simple, she needed some crayons and I just happened to have some. Our entire relationship was built on the idea that if she needed something, I'd give it to her and vice versa. We grew up together. Boys, first kisses, and everything else in between. As we got older, it got a little more complicated. At least for me it did. I quickly discovered that boys were not really my thing. I think on some level she always knew, but she was always too nice to bring the subject up. In any case the lines of our friendship were always blurred. There was always this underlying spark between us. Neither one of us talked about it, but we both used it to our advantage.

Our junior year of college was a crazy one. We spent our summer in Puerto Rico, and I'd be lying if I said we didn't cross every line that we ever drew. It was the single most insane summer of my life and I will never forget it. She left her mark on me, literally. I woke up after a night of drinking to find her name tattooed across my ribcage. The tattoo itself was beautiful. The font was a very feminine script and it was accented with a pair of red lips. It was probably one of the craziest things I had ever done. It's the kind of story that usually elicits laughter. How many people can say they had their best friends name tattooed across their ribcage? Well, I can. Fucking tequila.

The second she came into view, I couldn't breathe. It was like the all the air had been sucked out of my lungs. She was beautiful. She smiled as soon as she saw me. My hands ached to touch her. My heart beat rapidly in my chest. As soon as she made it to the bottom of the escalator, she ran toward me. I caught her in my arms and spun her around. She laughed and grabbed my face, planting a kiss on my lips.

"I have missed you so much!" She laughed.

"I know the feeling." I smiled.

"I'm starving." She grumbled as she untangled herself from me.

"I can see not much has changed." I smirked. "Let's get your bags and get you home. It's taco Tuesday!"

"Taco Tuesday?" She asked cocking an eyebrow.

"You're gonna find out soon enough."

She laced her fingers with mine as we walked over to the baggage claim. Once we got her luggage, we exited the terminal and walked out to my parked jeep.

"It's so warm." She said as she climbed into the passenger seat.

"All year round. Our place is right on the beach. You're gonna love it Sel." I said as I started the jeep and backed out of the parking space.

"I'm glad I'm here." She said softly.

"Me too." I said as we headed toward the freeway.

We spent the drive home in a comfortable silence. I had removed the jeep's hard top so she was enjoying the San Diego weather. I would steal a glance at her from time to time. She had pulled her hair back into a ponytail and put on her Ray Bans. I couldn't help but remember our senior year of high school. She literally looked exactly the same. I remember the way the sunlight would shine on her face as we cruised around on the old back roads in Texas. We'd sing at the top of our lungs like crazy fools. If we didn't know the song we'd make up our own words and laugh until our sides hurt.