Chapter Thirty-Six: De Chagny

Two Months, Four Weeks, and Five Days, Mireval

"Are you certain you must leave?" Camillé asked as the de Chagny carriage was filled with their luggage to leave.

Raoul smiled as he bent down to kiss her hand. "I am afraid so. Our father needs us in Paris; he is very ill, you see." Camillé nodded solemnly, and Raoul stood up straight. "I give you my word we will return for the wedding ceremony," he promised, grinning at her and nodding to Daniel.

"Merci, Raoul," she chuckled, and he bowed to her before his brother came to take his place.

Philippe smiled a dazzling smile. "It has been marvelous seeing you again, Camillé. I quite like this country, I shall have to acquire a summer home here."

"It would be wonderful to have you for neighbors," she agreed, then leaned forward to speak to him privately, "Do tell me when your brother finds that Little Lottie of his."

"If he finds her," he corrected with a shake of his head, "We have absolutely no idea where Mademoiselle Daaé has gone, and if he does find her, it will be a miracle."

Camillé froze. "Mademoiselle Daaé? You mean to say Christine Daaé?"

"That is what I said and meant, oui. There is no other Mademoiselle Daaé in all of France, to my knowledge. Why, do you know something of her?"

"She is a member of the corps de ballet at the Opera Populaire," she explained in a breathless voice.

"You are certain?"

She nodded and looked back up at Philippe. "Oui, I spent many evenings there… watching the shows."

He grinned and called over his brother, who came to them instantly. "Tell Raoul what you know."

Camillé swallowed. "Raoul, I know where your Little Lottie is."

"Quoi? Why did you not mention this before? Where is she?" the Viscomte asked anxiously.

"She is a chorus girl," she muttered, and swallowed again, "at the Opera Populaire."

Raoul gasped and stepped back a step or two. "You mean to say… she has… My Little Lottie has been in Paris this whole time?"

Camillé nodded. "Yes, she has."

"You are certain of this?" Again, she nodded. Raoul de Chagny grabbed her head and kissed both her cheeks before running to the carriage calling, "Come brother, we must make haste! I cannot wait another moment to see my Little Lottie!"

Philippe shook his head and chuckled. "I am not certain whether I should thank you or curse you, Mademoiselle."

Camillé grinned. "Both would do, I suppose."

The two laughed again and said their goodbyes, kissing each other's cheeks quickly before Philippe got into the carriage with his impatient little brother. As the carriage pulled away, Daniel wrapped his arm around Camillé's waist. She leaned against him and sighed.

"I shall miss their company," she admitted sadly, "They are such a lively two, don't you think?"

Daniel chuckled. "Lively is one word for it," he joked, and she pushed him as they turned and walked back into the chateau.

"Don't speak ill of them," she warned with a grin, "They may be coming here more often than not for visits. Did you hear Philippe mention that he wants a summer home here?"

"I did. I couldn't possibly understand why."

Camillé shot him a glare as he smirked at her. "You're in quite a joking mood today, Daniel. What good thing has happened that I missed?"