Chapter Seven: Engagement?

Camillé froze, but he took no notice, grabbing her hand and leading her in the back door of a nearby pub. He raced her up the stairs and pulled her into a room in the back. Daniel looked at her lovingly as he discarded his coat and sat her on the bed beside him. His fingers tipped her head upwards and he kissed her softly, though she didn't respond. A little hurt, he pulled away.

"Love, what's wrong? Aren't you happy to see me again?" he asked, sounding so pathetic that she turned back in.

She smiled and placed her hand on his cheek. "Yes, Daniel, of course I'm happy to see you. I'm just... shocked that you're here and not quite sure what to make of this," she admitted, before placing a kiss on his lips, "I'm delighted to see you."

He grinned and gathered her close, kissing her quite thoroughly. Yet for some reason, she didn't feel right. Yes, she remembered everything about their relationship; the kisses, the plans to marry, the winter nights at home... everything they'd done for a year of their courtship. But kissing him didn't feel right anymore and she had no idea why. Confused, she pushed away the feeling and returned his kiss, hoping to mask her unsureness. It worked, because he was quite pleased with it when they pulled away. He kissed the top of her head and whispered sweet nothings at her.

"I love you, Camillé. I've missed you so much," he murmured into her hair.

She hummed softly. "I've missed you too."

He pulled back and gave her a 'you forgot something' look. When she didn't say anything, he scoffed and rolled his eyes.

"I said, 'I love you, Camillé,'" he repeated in a teasing voice.

She smiled, though her heart wasn't behind it, and looked up at him. "I love you too, Daniel."

Warning bells rang in her mind in the most dissonant cacophony she had ever heard. Her head was telling her that what she was telling him was wrong; so wrong. Something was completely off here and she didn't know what.

_____/~~\______

She was able to push away the feeling for a good week before it overcame her. In that time, Daniel had procured two tickets on the next boat to England and had talked so much of marrying her that she was beginning to regain her thinking that she never wanted to marry anyone. He had just gone out to find some dinner for them from somewhere other than the pub they were staying in, since they had had that at least six times in seven days. It was a glorious feeling, him being gone, but she didn't know why. Apparently, with the money they had saved up from their less-than-honorable procuring methods back home in London, he had bought her an engagement ring. It sat on her ring finger now, a perfect fit, but... not perfect.

Finally, she made up her mind. Her determination grew as she picked up a piece of parchment and one of the pens provided by the inn. She addressed the letter to Madame Giry on the front, as little as she wanted to. No, she didn't like the woman, but that didn't keep her from being the only person that she knew could get the letter to him. So, begrudgingly, she began the letter.

It took her a short amount of time to finish her letter and when she had enclosed all that needed to be enclosed, she sealed it with a little wax and made sure not to mess up what was already attached inside. With a determined nod, she left the pub and continued down the streets, walking for a minute before she remembered the way back to her destination. She entered through the back door of the Opera House, and walked straight to Madame Giry's room.

The women looked at each other for a moment when she walked in. She very calmly set the letter down in front of her and left without a word. Again retracing her steps, she returned to their room to find Daniel already there, waiting for her with a sour expression.