Chapter Thirty-Four: A Secret Engagement

• Dedicated to FantomPhan33

Chapter Thirty-Four: A Secret Engagement

Dedicated to FantomPhan33(Even though you won't know for a while yet.)

Two Months, One Week, Mireval

"Daniel!"

Captain Merrick looked away from the servant and up at the stairs and grinned. She flew at him and threw her arms around his neck. He picked her up and spun her around, laughing all the while. When he set her down, she was rosy-cheeked and looking absolutely gorgeous. Yes, he admitted to himself, I'm completely in love with this woman. Still.

"Hello, Camillé," he greeted her in English with a courtly bow.

She giggled and curtsied to him. "Hello to you too, Captain Merrick," she joked, and they locked eyes as she stood back up. "I've missed you," she admitted quietly.

"I've missed you too, love."

"Ah, so the most honorable Captain Merrick has returned," Samuel spoke in French as he stepped down the stairs.

Daniel smiled up at him, reverting to the same language. "Bonjour, Samuel. Yes, I have. I trust you have kept good care of her while I have been away?"

"I and the others who, I must admit, have been keeping her more company than I have since their arrival."

"Who are you speaking of?"

At this moment, the Comte and Viscomte de Chagny came walking down the stairs to greet the latest arrival. Daniel looked at Camillé with a surprised expression and she shrugged sheepishly. When they reached the ground floor, he shook both men's hands cordially.

"Bonjour, Monsieurs. I am Captain Merrick of the White Camellia."

Philippe smiled. "So you are the captain we have heard so much about," he chuckled, looking over at Camillé, who blushed, "I am le Comte Philippe de Chagny, and this is my younger brother le Viscomte Raoul."

"Pleased to meet you," Raoul greeted with a small smile on his face.

"You as well," Daniel returned, then looked to Camillé. "When were you going to mention to me that we had houseguests?"

She paused and thought, trying to save herself. "Soon?" she offered with a sheepish grin, and everyone laughed.

_____/~~\_____

Later that Same Day, Mireval

"I am sick and tired of it, Daniel!"

Daniel rubbed his temple with the tips of his fingers. "What are you yelling for? The others going to think something's up if you keep yelling in a foreign language."

She quieted instantly. "I'm sorry, but it really is bothering me."

"I can tell. What is it?"

"The suitors. There are so many of them and they just won't give up!"

Daniel raised an eyebrow. "Haven't you been telling them off?"

"Of course I have," she turned to him, exasperated, "But they're like… they're like houseflies. You can shoo them away a thousand times but they keep coming back because they think you have something for them."

"Well, what do you propose I do about it? This seems like a personal problem," he chuckled, adjusting his seat on the couch with a smirk.

She shot him a dark look and he quieted. "I just need your help."