Chapter Thirty-Five: Goodbye

Two Months, One Week, and Three Days, Mireval

Camillé watched the serving boy walk away with her letter in hand. She was thankful that her mother had reminded her to write it, or she may have forgotten. That thought struck her and she wanted to slap herself. What did she mean, 'she may have forgotten?' How could she have forgotten her fiancé? He was the most important person in her heart! She shook her head and headed back to her desk.

_____/~~\_____

Two Months, One Week, and Five Days, Just Outside Mireval

Erik pulled back on the reins and Caesar came to a halt. He looked at the large mansion, knowing that he had finally arrived. She would be so happy to see him. He had to admit, he liked the size of the estate, although he knew that it would be impossible for them to stay here. There was no use in trying, they would be ousted the moment someone heard of his face. Erik frowned. He was surprised that Camillé had stayed with him this long, despite the problems that his deformity would cause for them in the future. It would certainly hurt when they tried to marry, in procuring a home, their children… Erik shook his head of those thoughts. They would think about such things later. For now, he only wanted to be there for her. He only wanted to hold her in his arms again, and he would, very soon. His only love.

He rode Caesar up to the stables and dismounted, leaving him in one of the stalls. There was little chance that he wouldn't be well cared for. Erik calmed him before departing for the actual mansion itself.

_____/~~\_____

Two Months, One Week, and Five Days, In the Study

Daniel entered the room and smiled at the sight of Camillé looking out the window. He wrapped his arms around her waist backward and kissed her shoulder gently. She made no response, but he was quite used to it. Though he would be open and affectionate with her, she never returned his kisses or responded much to his touch unless there were people around. He laid his chin on her shoulder and sighed.

"What are you looking at, love?" he asked, in English as he always did when they were alone.

She sighed. "The countryside. I miss Paris."

"I know you do. Wish we could find someone to take the business out of our hands. I absolutely hate seeing your spirits down like this."

"But our efforts are doing nothing," she remarked, turning around to face him, "I can't find anyone… you've tried, Philippe's tried, Raoul's tried… everyone who might take a look at the business doesn't like it in the end."

He shrugged. "I don't know what I can tell you, Camillé. There's nothing more we can do than what we're doing."

"I know that."

"Mam'selle?" Laurien spoke up in French, and they both turned to him, "There's someone at the door for you."

Camillé's eyebrow raised. "Another suitor?"

Laurien thought for a minute, then nodded. "He says you know him."

"Then by all means, send him in." The man walked in and Camillé breathed, "You…"

He smiled and bowed to her. "Bonjour, Camillé."

"What are you doing here?"

He bristled as he stood up before smirking. "I wanted to see you and ask you something."

Camillé looked at Daniel beside her and stepped up to the man. "I believe you have not heard the word. I am engaged to Captain Merrick now, and I am afraid that means I cannot go to dinner with you."