Chapter 13- The Paint Date

We pulled into the driveway of Ben and Jens house.  Jace breathed a loud sigh.

"Jace will you relax?  They will be happy to see you, I promise."  I said reaching over and giving her hand a quick squeeze of encouragement. 

Without knocking I opened the front door and lead Jace up to the spare bedroom.  I could hear Jen and Ben talking (or should I say arguing from outside the door.)

"Jen the color looks like puke."  Ben said motioning towards the half painted wall.

"Its called "moss" and I happen to love it."  She shot back.

"Its ugly and when the baby sees it he's going to want to puke too."

'Baby?' Did he just say baby?'  I looked back at Jace she looked shocked.

"Holy shit did you just say baby?"  I practically yelled from outside the door.

Ben and Jen both turned to me looking startled.

"Yeah Jen's pregnant."  Ben was smiling from ear to ear.  I ran into the room and gave Ben a huge hug.

"Oh my God Congratulations you guys!  So that's why you wanted to paint this room."  I walked over to Jen and gave her a big hug too.

"Congratulations to you too "Uncle Noah."  Jen beamed.  I saw her look over to the door where Jace was still standing.  "Jace!"  She squealed and ran over to her wrapping her arms around her neck.

Jace held her composure well seeing as Jen almost knocked her over.

"I am SO glad that you are here!  I kept bugging Noah to bring you back to our house." 

"Congratulations Jen.  You and Ben are going to be great parents."  Jace said looking from Jen to Ben.

"Oh I hope so. Its still so early, I am only 9 weeks along."

"Yeah this wasn't exactly the way we had planned to tell you."  Ben said looking at me and Jace.  Jace walked into the room to stand next to me.

"Great job Ben- you and your BIG MOUTH!"  Jen teased.

"Hey its not my fault.  If Mr. Late For Everything over here would have showed up on time he wouldn't have heard us talking, buuuuuut ( Ben enunciated the "uuuuut")  seeing as he is with good company I forgive him."  Ben smiled at Jace.  Jace blushed.

"I hope I am not intruding."  Jace said looking slightly nervous.

"Are you kidding?"  Jen interjected.  "I am so happy you are here."

"The more the merrier."  Ben added on.

"So should we start painting?"  I asked.

"Sure there are the rollers and the paintbrushes.  Just start where ever you like."  Ben informed us.

Jace immediately picked up a small paintbrush and dipped it into the "moss" colored paint.

It took us almost 3 hours to paint the whole room.  I kept sneaking glances over and Jace who seemed to be doing the same to me.  We had a great time laughing and dancing to the music.  Even Jace was starting to lighten up.  It was hard not to be happy with so much excitement filling the room.  I turned my head to sneak a look at Jace when a paintbrush full of green paint slid across my cheek.  Jace giggled and then backed away.  Jen and Ben snickered.

"Oh ok I see how it is." I said sticking my whole hand inside the gallon of paint.  I walked towards Jace as the green paint dripped off of my fingertips.

"Noah don't you dare!"  She squealed backing up.

"Whats the matter?  I happen to think green is the perfect color for you."  I smirked diving towards her.  She tried to dodge me, but I grabbed her waist wrapping my arms around her.  "Not so funny now is it?"  I teased her wiping green paint on her forehead.  Feeling her body so close to mine in the tight embrace made me feel weak in the knees.

"Noah stop!  Ok I give up!"  She squealed turning towards me with my arms still wrapped around her.  She was looking up at me with those sapphire blue eyes.  I gently wiped my clean hand across her forehead taking some of the paint off.  She smiled sweetly.  Completely forgetting that Jen and Ben were still in the room I heard Ben clear his throat loudly.

"Ahem.  Do you want us to leave you two alone?"  Ben joked and Jen smiled.  Jace immediately backed away from me looking embarrassed.

"Oh Ben don't tease them I think its adorable."  Jen said smiling brightly.  Jace gave Jen an appreciative smile.

"Come on Jace lets go clean up."  Jen said pulling Jace out the door. The room was silent until Ben piped up.

"Dude you got it bad for her don't you?"  Ben asked

"Yeah I guess I do."  I admitted

"Have you told her?"  Ben asked again

"Told her what?"  I asked already knowing the answer to my question.

"That you are in love with her."  Ben sounded very serious.

"No and I don't intend to until I am absolutely certain she feels the same."

"I am pretty sure that she does Noah."  Ben said sitting down on the ground.

"Ben we aren't even an official couple yet.  We haven't even kissed." 

"Seriously?  You haven't even kissed her?  Why the hell not?  Hasn't she stayed the night at your house?  Slept in the same bed with you?  What do you guys do?  Play Scrabble all night?"  He joked.

"I never told you we slept in the same bed.  How did you know?" I asked intrigued.

"I didn't you just told me."  Ben grinned.  I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

"Shes staying over again tonight." 

"Oh really?  So you are going to make your move right?"  Ben asked nudging my arm.

"I am sure gonna try."

"Just do it Noah.  When you feel that moment and you want to kiss her just do it.  Don't think about it so much just go with your heart.  Just a few minutes ago when you two were messing around with the paint and you two locked eyes...that's the moment you need to assert yourself.  It was like you two didn't even remember that Jen and I were in the room.  Those are the kind of moments that you cant pass up." 

I think that was the very best piece of advice that Ben had ever given to me. I knew that he was right.  I was just so damn nervous.  It had been so long since I have had a woman in my life.  A woman that made me feel excited.  That I wanted to spend every second with.  A woman that I just plain WANTED.

"See you are already thinking too much."  Ben exclaimed.  " Just do what feels right."

Right on cue the girls came walking back into the room.

"So boys, we ordered pizza and I cracked open a bottle of champagne.  I think this day definitely deserves a toast."  Jen said excitedly.  Ben eyed Jen's glass.

"Don't worry, mine is just sparkling white grape juice."  She said eyeing Ben.  Jen handed out the other glasses.

Ben lifted up his glass, "here's to my beautiful amazing wife and the new journey we are about to begin as parents.