Chapter 2- The Set-up

Jace continued to work with me throughout the week.  I learned that she loved caramel frappachinnos, the color violet, Chinese food and lived with a room mate named Ray (a female Thank God!)  I had to admit so far there wasn't anything about this girl that I didn't like.  We talked about books a lot and I was amazed that had read so many of the classics, maybe even more than I had.  I still hadn't figured out how to ask if she had a boyfriend, but really why should I bother?  She was beautiful, smart, funny, caring and seemed much older than 21, but why would she even think about me.  I wasn't anything special.  Divorced, alone (except for Salanger my golden retriever), and totally out of her league.  Not to mention the obvious age difference which I had to admit bothered me just a little bit.  The difference was that Jace didn't act at all like she was 21 years old.  I know that I did my fair share of partying at that age, but Jace didn't talk about that at all nor her family, a subject I also was dieing to know more about. 

Jace walked into my office and sat down.  She was wearing a violet sweater with a black belt, black leggings, and a pair of high black boots. Man did she look good.  I wondered if she would noticed I had worn a certain shade of purple (unintentionally of course)

"Hello Professor Lasky.  I really like your shirt."  She smiled at me.  SCORE!  She did notice. 

"Thank you, it's one of my favorites."  I lied. I did like this shirt, I just thought it was kind of girly so I didn't wear it very often.  'Ok Noah now compliment her back'

"How's your day going so far?"  She crossed her legs.  '

'Shoot I missed my chance.'  "It's going alright, I still cant figure out for the life of me why students at a college level still forget to use spell check."

"Or the difference between there, they're and their."  She piped in

"Exactly! That is one of my biggest pet peeves."  I couldn't have agreed more.  "My brother is notorious for doing that, drives me crazy!"  I added.

"Is your brother older or younger?"

"He's younger.  Twenty-four.  His name is Ben. His wife's name is Jen, I made fun of him forever because they rhymed."

"Is he the only sibling you have?"

"Yep, my mother was cursed with all boys."

"Sounds like a blessing to me, girls aren't anything but drama and hormones."  Hearing that come from a girl made me smile.

"What about you?  Do you have any siblings?"  I asked her.  Again she shifted nervously in her chair.

"No I'm an only child." She looked down at her boots.

"Do you wish your mom would have had more?"  Man it was hard prying information out of this girl.

"No she couldn't even take care of me, so thank God she wasn't dumb enough to have another one."  She looked up at me with resentment in her eyes.  Finally! A tiny bit of information into her past.  I wanted to know more.

"What about your dad, did he take care of......" before I could finish my sentence there was a knock at the door.  A tall dark, chiseled, jock with a polo shirt that was too tight, and jeans that were too big was standing there.  "Can I help you?"  I asked slightly annoyed he had interrupted our conversation just when it started to get good.  He was looking at Jace.

"Ummmmm, yeah can I talk to Jace for a second?"  He was still looking at her.

"Sure."  I lied.

"Whats up Luke?"  She asked him.  'Ok here he is The Boyfriend, I knew she couldn't possibly be single.  God, I was such an idiot'  I pretended to type on the computer.