Chapter 17- The Accident

Before I knew it Jace was out the door.  I stood there in shock, going through all the events of the last 48 hours.  An attempted rape, a new baby, a kiss, and Jace's uncovered secret about her father all whirled around my head like a thundercloud. I opened the door to catch Jace, but remembered that we had picker up her car and dropped it off at my house before going over to Ben and Jen's in fear that Luke might try and vandalize it out of a rejected rage.  The car and Jace were both gone.

I closed the door and reality set in.  What the heck was I worried about?  Jace had done what I asked of her and told me the truth.  She didnt mince words, she trusted me to understand and to accept her past and I couldnt do that?  After all that she had done for me  in the last couple of months?  She made me feel alive again, whole again, and willingly to love again.  Who was I to question her past?  Especially since she never once judged me for mine?

I quickly grabbed my phone and dialed her number.  Three rings later it went straight to voicemail.  No, I couldnt leave her a voicemail I had to talk to her directly.  I hung up and immediately hit redial. "C'mon Jace pick up the phone!  Please!"  I begged outloud.  Straight to voicemail.  After the fifth and sixth redial it went straight to voicemail.  "Damn it!" I yelled.  I figured I would give her half and hour to get home and maybe relax and if she didnt answer I was just going to drive to her house and force her to talk to me.

The minutes dragged on and on as I continued to hit redial on the phone with no luck.  At this point I assumed she must have shut her phone off.  I grabbed my coat and car keys and opened the front door only to find Ben standing with his arm up ready to knock.

"I cant talk Ben, I have to go!"  I said pushing him out of the way.

"Noah, stop!  Wait!"  Ben said trying to stand in my way.

"Ben!  Stop I have to talk to Jace!  Now!"  I said pushing past him.

"Noah this is about Jace!"  Ben grabbed my arm.

"WHAT!!!"  I yelled at him.

"She's been in an accident Noah.  Jen just called me from the hospital and told me.  I tried to call you, but your phone keeps going straight to voicemail.  What happened?  I thought she was with you?"  He asked.

"Is she ok?  Was it bad?  What did Jen say?"  I couldnt get enough questions out at one time.

"It's bad Noah."  Was all that Ben could say.

" I have to get to the hospital!  I have to go!  Now!"  I said fumbling through my pockets for my keys.  "DAMN IT!  Motherfucker!"  I yelled as I reached into my pant pockets.

 Your keys are in your hand Noah!  I'll drive you!  C'mon!"  Ben said running towards the car.  I ran to the car and jumped in.

"Go!  Go!  Go!" I screamed.

"I am Noah!  It wont do us any good if we get into an accident too!"  Ben yelled back.  I knew he was right, but the car wasnt moving fast enough, hell, a jet plane wouldnt have been moving fast enough.

"Fuck!  Damn it!  Oh God please, please dear God let her be ok!"  I pleaded with my head in my hands.

"What happend Noah?  Did you guys get into a fight or something?"  Ben asked while swerving through curves like a Nascar driver.

"Yeah and its all my fault!  God I am such a fucking idiot!  Please God, please let her be ok!"

When we reached the hospital, Ben hardly had time to slow the car down before I jumped out and ran in.  Jen was standing at the check in counter near the emergency room entrance.

"Jen!  Where is she?  Is she ok?  Can I see her?"  My voice sounded frantic and close to tears.  Before Jen could answer me, a girl, who I assumed was Ray, by the way that Jace had described her stepped directly in front of me and pushed me back.

"Get the fuck out of here Noah!"  The girl yelled.  "You've done enough damage as it is!"