Chapter 19- The Surgery

"My name is Dr. Griffen.  I was the neurosurgeon that operated on Jace.  Are you her parents?"  Dr. Griffen said looking at my mom and dad.

"Ummm, no doctor, we are just friends."  My mom stuttered, looking uncomfortable.

"Are any of you her family?"  The doctor asked.

"No, she doesnt have any family, we, well MOST of us are her friends." Ray said emphasizing the word "most" and glaring in my direction. 

Doctor Griffen looked a little shocked, but nodded.

"Well the good news is that Jace is out of surgery and we were able to stop the hemorrhage from spreading to other parts of her brain and her bloodstream. So thats very good news."

"And the bad news?"  I gulped

"Well a surgery like this always comes with some risks and side effects.  The next 48 hours are going to be very crucial for Jace.  We want to make sure the clip we inserted into her brain to stop the hemorrhage doesnt loosen or move as her blood begins to circulate again."  He stated.

"How will we know if that happens?"  My dad asked

"Well she is going to be closely monitored in the ICU for the next 48 hours.  Her blood pressure, oxygen levels, and heart rate will all be watched around the clock, as well as any type of seizure activity.  If she has a seizure it will most likely mean there is still bleeding in the brain." 

"Are there any long term effects from something like this?"  Ray's dad asked.

"There may and there may not be.  A persons recovery depends on the person and how their body reacts to such a trauma.  Jace could experience some memory loss, motor function loss, sensory loss, or she could make a total and full recovery.  Worst case scenario is that the hemorrage reacurrs which would more than likely result in death or paralysis."

I heard Ray gasp and immediately felt tears begin to well up in my eyes. I felt my mom put her hand on my back.

"D..Do...Do you think that is going to happen?"  I struggled to get the question out.

"I have no way of predicting that."  Dr. Griffen stated.

"Can we see her?"  Ray asked as tears began to roll down her cheeks.

"Yes, but only two people at a time. I want you to be aware of the fact that she is hooked up to several machines including a ventilator to help her breath.  We also had to shave a portion of her hair on the right side of her head, where we had to make the incision. She also has several cuts and bruises on her body due to the accident and a cast on her right arm."  Dr. Griffen stated.

"So the brain hemorrhage isnt the only thing wrong with her?"  Ray asked. 

"No.  Jace also sustained a broken arm, which we have casted, 3 fractured ribs, stitches on her left arm, and several deep bruises.  I guess that was something else I should have warned you about.  She looks pretty beat up."  The doctor said looking at each of us.

I looked down at the ground and shook my head.  'This was all my fault.'  I felt anger begin to rise inside me again..

"I can take two of you back a time if you would like to go."  The doctor said.

I looked at Ray, who immediately said she wanted to go, before I had the chance to open my mouth.  As Ray and her mother followed Dr. Griffen out the door I found a bathroom and collapsed into uncontrollable tears.