Chapter 8- The Cold Shoulder

I found out quickly that I was wrong.  First thing in the morning I had a note on my desk from the counselor handling the work study assistants telling me that Jace was sick and wouldnt be at work today.  My heart fell to the floor.  I immediately picked up my phone and shot her a text.

"Are you ok?"  I typed and waited for a response.  Nothing.  I kept checking my phone throughout the day to see if she sent a reply, but as my work day came to an end I still hadnt heard anything from her.  What was I going to do?  Maybe she really was sick?  I know that I suddenly felt sick.  I drove home, picking up some take out along the way.  At home I checked my phone a dozen times.  Turning it on and off again to make sure something wasnt wrong with the battery and maybe her text just didnt come through.  I tried to sleep that night, but with no avail.  I tossed and turned enough that Salanger gave a long sigh and then jumped off my bed to sleep on the floor.  I would talk to her tomorrow.  I HAD to talk to her tomorrow.

The next day at work there wasnt a note on my desk. I breathed a sigh of relief and then watched the clock like a hawk until the time read 3:00.  Where was she?  She was usually always on time if not early.  I looked at my cell phone to check the time.  Tick Tock Tick Tock.  Finally at 3:07 she walked through the door.

"Sorry I'm late."  She said not even looking in my direction and then sat down at her desk and began grading a stack of papers I had laid out for her.

"I was getting ready to send out a search party."  I joked. She didnt crack a smile. 

From 3:08 until 4:00 we sat in silence.  I kept glancing in her direction, but she made no effort to make eye contact with me.  Then there was a knock on the door.  I looked up to see pretty boy Luke standing halfway in my office.

"I'm sorry to interrupt Professor but can I talk to Jace for a quick second."  He asked.  Jace looked up at him and then at me.

"Y..yeah sure."  I stuttered.  Please tell me that this guy wasnt going to try and ask her out AGAIN.

"Jace I know you said you werent really into dating right now, but I have two tickets to see the circus tonightt and I would hate for them to go to waste.  I know its short notice and everything, but I think you and I would have a great time.  I really want you to come with me.  Pleeeeeese."  He put his lower lip out like a two year old.  Man, this guy just loved rejection.  There is no way Jace is going to say yes to such a lame date. 

"Sure Luke, I would love to go."  She smiled back at him.

WHAT?  Did I really just hear her say that?  Why would she say yes to HIM?  I thought we had a "thing?"  Granted I didnt exactly know what that "thing" was but in my mind it meant not dating other people!  I felt a lump rise up in my throat.

"Really?"  Luke said sounding as shocked as I did.  "Thats awesome!  I will pick you up at 6:00 then."  He practically sang.

"Ok that sounds good.  C- ya later."  She replied.  The second Luke walked out the door I jumped up and closed it hard.

"What are you doing?"  I shot towards Jace.  "You dont even like him!"  I said feeling anger and jealousy burn through my veins.

"Well I guess I wont know unless I give him a chance now will I?"  She said without looking up at me.

"Jace, I thought you and I...I thought we...."  I stammered over my words.

"You thought what Professor Lasky?  You said it yourself we are just hanging out.  I dont have any obligation towards you and you dont have any towards me.  You and I can date whoever we want."  Her words pierced right through me.  They sounded so cold. 

I was pissed!  I was pissed at Jace for saying yes to that musclehead, but I was even more pissed at myself for allowing her to be ABLE to say yes to him!  I had screwed everything up and the more I thought about it the more angry I became.  And thats when the fight really began.

"Ok fine you're right.  Go out with that asshole and get treated like dirt.  Like you said, you know he only wants one thing from you anyway.  Go ahead and give it to him just to make yourself feel better!  Date him, sleep with him, let him use you.  Lord knows, thats what your used to with your family background!"  I yelled and then immediately regretted it.  Jace stood up from her desk.  I could see tears welling up in her eyes.

"How dare you say that to me!"  You dont even know me Noah!  You hardly know anything about my family background!"  She yelled back at me.

"And whos fault is that?  I ask you about them, but you wont tell me hardly anything!  I dont even know anything about your father because you wont tell me!"  I fired back.

"And know you see why dont you!"  She sneered with tears rolling down her cheeks.  "You know you are worse than guys like Luke because at least I KNOW what their intentions are.  You are so wishy washy and confused and worried about yourself that you cant even make up your own mind about what you want.  Dont take your indecisiveness out on me!"  With that she grabbed her bag and headed towards the door.

"You cant leave!  You didnt even finishing grading my papers!"  I said knowing how childish I sounded.

She spun around walked back to her desk and picked up the stack of papers.

"You think you know everything anyway, grade them yourself PROFESSOR!"  And with that she dropped the stack of papers on the floor at my feet, wiping tears from her eyes she walked out of the office slamming the door behind her.

I couldnt move.  I stood in shock staring down at the ungraded papers now at my feet.  What the hell just happened?  What was I thinking?  How could I say those things to her?  Such hurtful words all because I couldnt tell her how I really felt.  She was 100% right!  Seeing Jace with tears in her eyes after everything she has gone through in her life made me feel even worse!  I took the anger I had with myself out on her and she didnt deserve that!  I sat down at my desk and put my head in my hands. 

Tonight Jace would be out on a date with Luke.  Luke would get the chance to hold her hand,  put his arms around her, maybe even get the kiss I had been longing for since the very first time I saw her.  And I had pushed her even closer to him.  I felt tears in my eyes and quickly wiped the away.

I grabbed the stack of papers off the floor and decided to call it a day.  I knew I wasnt going to be able to get anymore work done anyway.  I drove home in silence knowing that I had better get used to beng alone again.  Jace would never forgive me.  And to make matters worse I knew I would never forgive myself.