Chapter 11: Drapetomania

Hello my babies. Music goes excellent with the chapter!! :))

*****************************************************************

Drapetomomania- noun- an overpowering urge to run away.

Death laughed deep in his throat and my body became tremulous from the sound. It was as if it echoed off the walls, bouncing off like a cruel game of pinball, then pelted at my face with each sinister chuckle. Death hadn't taken those dark eyes off of me the moment he ripped me from my secret hiding spot. Now he was close to me, stroking me cheek. Close enough to smell. Close enough to feel...

Did I say mention was close? He was absolutely watching me squirm as I fought against my attraction towards him.

 "Debora told me about the first person you killed," I blurted. Death's dark eyes flickered with interest. "David. I don't know why you chose his identity and his first name, probably a sick reason, like it made you feel pretty inside knowing you're walking with the feet of your first kill. Well the joke's up, and I'm not laughing."

Death's lips quirked up for a moment as he suppressed a small laugh.

"What was that?" I asked, finding that Death's hold on my had loosened as he keeled over with laughter. His musical laughter my insides twist even more as if I was on a roller coaster. The laugh was humorless, evil, and downright disturbing. As if he had his own inside joke from my statement.

When Death looked up, his expression was once again set in stone. He wiped an imaginary tear from his eye and flicked it away.  "And why would I ever do that, Faith Williams? Why would I take the form of my first kill? Why wouldn't I just tell you if I was David Star?"

"Because you're a sadistic, cruel creature who enjoys making me suffer?" I thought that was obvious!

"And?"

There was an 'and.' Of course. I crossed my arms over my chest. "And, I don't know why you would pretend to be your first kill!"

"You don't know," Death whispered. His finger traced the outline of my jaw teasingly and that strange feeling of electricity soared through my body. "You're assuming everything, like you always do. You have no liable proof. You stand in front of a six-foot seven muscular, powerful, and easily aggravated creature, alone, in a small ass fun house with nothing to protect you. By openly accusing that creature of something that no mortal is suppose to know, with literally no evidence or support, you are threatening that six-foot seven, muscular, powerful creature, alone, in a fun house. And I'll let you in on a little secret"--he lifted a single finger up and looked around him, then put a gloved hand over his mouth and leaned in as if to tell me a secret-- "that six-foot seven, powerful, muscular creature in a small fun house didn't visit a crappy ass carnival, and force her aunts perky little boyfriend to bring you here, then ditch, just to give Faith Williams a piggy back ride around town. That creature came here, knowing that Faith Williams, a curious, annoying bitch, would dig her perky little nose into other people's business, and ruin everything that creature worked for to have complete control over Illinois and its inexplicable amount of portals to the Unknown." Death's voice became a roar of words. "That creature, which is once again, six-foot seven, muscular, powerful, and easily aggravated, wants to make sure that Faith Williams knows, that if Faith Williams doesn't shut her diminutive human mouth, show respect towards him, and end the subject of David Star, he will shut that diminutive little mouth for her, using his supernatural, sharp scythe; which he really, really, really wants to slice her holey jean-wearing-Pocahontas braids-self in half for ever getting on the subject."

The jaw I had depended on so greatly decided to drop somewhere between his speech. "Where you just talking in third person--?"

"No."