Chapter Six: Diana

When we got home, I could tell Diana was home. I don’t know why, but somehow everytime she was home I could sense it. I ran inside and saw her.

“Diana!” I said, and gave her a hug. Despite the fact my sister was three years older, I was at least a head taller than her.

“hey Ellie!” she said “how’ve you been?”

“Great” I told her, knowing I wasn’t that great in general.

I heard the toilet flush and saw a boy walk out. He was taller than my father, with blond shaagy hair that he flipped to the side. I had no idea who this boy was, but then it clicked to me.

“Hi” he said, addressing me “you must be Ellie. Di’s told me all about you”

“this is max” my sister told me “my boyfriend”

This was a shock to me. Yes, Diana’s had many boyfriends. She inherited my mother’s olive skin and dark brown hair, while I inherited the fair skin from my father. The thing was, Diana had always told me about her boyfriends, and she most defiantly never brought any of them home, let along on vacation with our family and the Thomas’.

My mother walked into the kitchen and placed the groceries on the floor. She ran up to my sister.

“Diana” she said giving her a hug. “Ooh!” she said to Max “you must be Max! I’m so happy you could come up north with us!”

“Thanks for inviting me Ms Foster.”

Apparently, I was the only one who hadn’t heard of Max. My father came in and did the exact same thing my mother told him. We ate dinner in silence and I went up to my room. Days like today were the reason people like me had their own room. So once all the crazy was over, you had a place where you can lay down and relax for at least five minutes or so.

I threw on a bathing suit once again and went out into the pool.  I kicked off my flip flops and dove in. for some reason; I loved swimming after it rained. It made the water feel nice and the air smell like nature, even if it did have a hint of worms in the scent.

My bare feet felt nice in the puddles on the patio. I slipped into the pool and dunked my head in. I didn't do my usual swim till I’m exhausted, instead, I slowly glided around the water.

After about half an hour I heard the sliding door open and watched as Diana stepped out onto the porch. Even when she wasn’t wearing any makeup, she was still beautiful. I guess that was the reason she had her first kiss when she was eleven and I only had mine the previous night.

“hey” she said

“hi” I said, putting my arms up on the edge of the pool.

“Sorry I didn't tell you about him” she told me “I meant to I just-“

“it doesn’t matter” I lied to her.

“well it does to me” he voice was a little stronger but it was still her soft, kind one. “I use to tell you everything Elle”

“I know” I said, smiling at the thought. Though we were opposites, we were never the type of sisters to fight.

“so” she said “what’s going on with you and...” she nudged her head left, pointing to Blake’s House.

“nothing” I said. I could feel my face going red.

“really?” she said, sure I was lying this time. “Because mom said you guys got into a fight or something today”

“it’s nothing Diana!” I said, irritated by the way she was acting.

“We’ll see” she said, smirking and she went inside the house. I jumped out of the pool and grabbed my towel. The Mosquitoes were attacking my skin, I slapped one of them just as they started biting me. I slapped it off, but not in time. A white bubble formed on my skin.

“See,” a voice called. I jumped, and turned around to see Blake watching from the fence. “Even mosquitoes find you irresistible.”

I rolled my eyes and started walking towards my house.

“Ellie wait!” he called. I turned around

“What!” I was angry. Never had I been this angry at him. “I know what you’re doing. I don’t want to fall for you stupid little game Blake!”

“This isn’t a fuckin’ game Elena!” he snapped at me. “you know who I am ellie! This is who I am!”

“no” I said “you use to be different. You’ve changed”

“Ya? well so have you.” He said “and not for the better”

I watched him as he stormed into his house, slamming the door so hard the glass shuck.  I turned around to see Diana watching me. I brushed past her.

“Nothing’s going on between you and Blake?” she said, raising her eyebrows up at me, she took me by the hand and sat me down on the couch. She walked back into the kitchen and came back with two cups of hot chocolate.

“This was supposed to be for me and Max, but I think this is more important” she smiled and handed me a cup. “So,” she said “what’s going on between you and Blake Thomas?”

I sighed “I don’t even know. One night he kisses me and tells me he wants to be with me, and the next he starts acting like a total jerk.”

My sister shook her head. “Typical boy”

 I looked into her emerald green eyes. I could see the reflection of myself looking back. I was a mess. I couldn’t deal with Blake at all. Especially with swimming season starting in just a few months.

“He messes with my head” I told her quietly.

“Elle” she said “he’s not a psychic. He can’t get into your head unless you let him.”

Diana had a way with her words like no one I've ever met before. if my mother had said something like that to me, I would’ve came up with some kind of backtalk that contradicted the entire sentence. But when things like that came from Diana, you can’t help but stop and think about what shes actually trying to get at behind all the metaphors and similes.

I walked up to my room and sat on my bed. My room was a constant. When everything else around me was changing, it always stayed the same. I had my pale pink walls with my white bed, dresser and desk. there were my swimming trophies, my books, and everything I had was where it had always been. But now, I really noticed the change. My stuffed animals were replaced for trophies and awards, my photos of me and Blake as kids had been moved from the original spot on my nightstand, to on top of my dresser. Not to mention I no longer had drawings scattered all over my desk. I threw on a long t-shirt and crawled into my bed. When I turned off my lamp, it was almost a different room in the dark. I closed my eyes, and fell into a deep sleep.