ix

Mika's POV

4:55 pm, my heart was jumping just a little bit.

I looked at myself in the mirror, and brushed my hair probably a thousandth time.

What was I feeling?

What should I be feeling?

Nevermind.

I stood up from my dresser, and began pacing around for no particular reason.

I looked in the mirror on my dresser, tugging on my jacket, pulling up my jeans a bit, and making sure my shirt was tucked in properly.

Jerome was going to pick me up any minute now, and I was just waiting for his message for me to go downstairs.

Okay, I'll admit it—kinakabahan ako. Why though? They're just your former team mates, no big deal.

You are not nervous because you are seeing Ara. You've seen her loads of times, right?

Right...

A small shiver ran down my spine when Jerome texted me that he was in the lobby.

Ye, wala lang 'to. Pupunta ka sa dinner para makita si Cyd, at para mag-bonding sa mga team mates mo, pati na si Jerome.

Jerome miraculously agreed to go with me today. I didn't even ask—he just offered to drive me there and accompany me.

I rushed to get my sling bag, and throughout the whole elevator ride, I could her my heart pounding in my ears.

So, I tried to talk myself out of it.

"'Wag ka dapat kabahan; dapat masaya ka, diba? Makikita mo yung mga kaibigan mo, tapos si Jerome, andyan pa. Ano pa—"

I got cut off, when I saw that the elevator doors were open, and an elderly woman entered. She gave me a look at first, but I smiled at her anxiously.

She witnessed a part of my speech, didn't she?

Grabe ka talaga, Ye.

I muttered a small 'thank you' to the Lord when the elevator indicated that we were on the ground floor.

I let the lady go out first, and I trailed behind her hurriedly.

Jerome's car was flashing hazard lights in front of the lobby, and I rushed into the shotgun seat.

Maraming nangyari na, pero wala pa nga ako sa dinner eh.

It was going to be a long night.

The car ride was mostly silent, apart from the radio's white noise. We greeted each other, but didn't bother to make any small talk.

Maybe that's awkward for most couples, but it was what I was used to; him not knowing what to say, so I just played along with the silence over time.

It was just 5:30 pm, but I could already feel that I was going to be late.

I texted Kim that I was going to be just a bit late, then I locked my phone and looked up at the sky from the traffic-filled fly over.

Ang weird, diba? Ang daming stars sa sky, pero hindi natin sila nakikita sa Manila dahil sa pollution.

Pero kahit hindi mo sila nakikita, nandun pa rin sila. Di naman sila gumagalaw o umaalis eh.