CHAPTER 10

Upon arriving home I realized that all my good clothes were boxed up in the bowels of my rinky-dink studio. Letting out a groan I shuffled over to a panel in the floor of my closet, pulling it up with much effort. Noting my upper body weakness I sift through all the shit and finally come across a box labeled fancy scratch that super nice clothes grinning at how clueless I was while packing, even if it was only a month ago.

"Alrighty Mace get your ass in gear." I muttered to myself, hefting the big box out of the hole and throwing it in front of my bed. I quickly start up Netflix on my computer and start season two of American Horror Story. Keeping my eyes trained solely on the computer screen, I try to pick out a casual outfit. One that looked fancy but could definitely be versatile. By the middle of the second episode I was satisfied with a black tank top and white jeans I cuffed at the end. I decided to wear it with black flats. Now all I had to do was wait.

Looking at my phone I saw no new texts or snapchats. Deciding that I couldn't lay around I grabbed my guitar and started strumming. I needed a song. I needed inspiration. I needed Mars to just text me already! Jumping up from my seat I tromped over to the window and looked out across the street.

"Damn it." I muttered when I saw no movement in his studio. I'm too distracted. Exercise will help me, it's always helped. But 100 sit ups later and I was more worried than ever. Was I terrible in bed? Did he never want to see me again? All these thoughts and plenty more rushed thorough my mind, and I felt the urge. I rummaged through my bedside drawer and found the razor, slicing into my wrists I exhaled, letting my insecurities out. I'm not proud of what I do, I get it's not supposed to be good but it allows me to release my worry and hurt and fear.

Just when I had given up I received a text from Mars.

I'll come pick you up in an hour k?

I'm here so thats fine

As soon as the text was sent I dashed over to the bathroom to get myself ready, I had to purge. Flipping the lid up and kneeling down I began to push my fingers into the back of my throat. I retched all of the food out and wiping my mouth sat up. I'd brush my teeth after my make up I decided. Walking into my room I got down on the floor to do 200 crunches, 100 squats, and 50 push-ups. After I got up I looked for my makeup bag and traveled back to the bathroom do a simple makeup look.

The doorbell rang when I had finished brushing my teeth. I grabbed my bag, equipped with all my necessities and swung open the door with a smile.

"You're early," I said in a sing- songy voice. Mars smiled offering his arm.

"I know, I couldn't wait any longer okay? i had to fucking see you!" he bubbled. Kissing him on the cheek I giggled as he lead me in the car. Mars warned me that the place we were going was on the other side of town, I groaned but settled in nonetheless. Mars turned on the radio and let the music fill the car.

We had finally arrived and Mars rushed out of the car to open my door. I looked around and saw that we were on the rich side of town. We were at what looked to be a enormous green park complete with a gazebo and a little pond. Mars led me up a stone path to the gazebo, he opened up his bag and pulled out a blanket and some food.

"Ooooooo picnic eh, cute." I teased. Mars playfully shoved my shoulder and continued setting up. When he finished, Mars motioned down at the blanket and I sat down with him.

"I didn't know what you liked so I went with something awesome, chicken pesto sandwiches on sourdough bread." I groaned internally but I put on a smile and took one anyways. Mars had also made Greek orzo pasta which I took a small spoonful of. He made small talk, learned about me and vice versa. Mars was originally from this side of the island, with the rest of the wealthy, but when he refused to get a degree in law his parents disowned him. His great aunt payed for both of his apartments and after his breakdown he had no friends.

"Mars, I'm so sorry." I sympathized. He waved me off.

"Its totally fine, they were heartless people." he explained "After what happened to me and Ben."

"You and who now?" I ask. He sighs.

"Just this guy I used to know. He's dead now, look it doesn't matter now lets talk about cliche romantic shit and have a great time okay?"

"Mars, I'm not gonna give up on this." I say. And I won't, but I don't want to push it. Suddenly in the distance a light turns on and I hear a screen door open.

"WHO THE HELL IS IN MY BACKYARD? LENORD GRAB THE SHOT GUN!"

"Shit, I thought she was on vacation." hissed Mars.

"Wait! We're in someone's backyard?"

"Yeah, my aunt's. But we should get going." he hastily grabbed my hand and pulled us into the car. My head jerks back as he presses the gas and a laugh escapes my lips. Mars looks over at me, exhilarated and smiles.

"So you had a good time," he beamed. I nod vigorously.

"Success!" he exclaimed throwing his arms in the air.

"Hands on the wheel!" I shout. He quickly grasps the wheel. I giggle. The rest of the car ride is filled with our laughter and talking. When we get to my place Mars kisses me goodbye and I open my door. When I see him park across the street the smile slips off my face and I run to the bathroom.