CHAPTER 7

Instead of taking my bike like a smart person would, I decided to walk to the pier. I reasoned with myself on the way there that it was because my long yellow bell bottom pant leg would get caught, and it was great exercise for myself. I was starting to hate that decision. I walked by the town center and saw the posters plastered all over store fronts, the lights turned out and closed signs up- the whole city must be there.

When I finally got to the pier I took out my phone and sent Lamb and Mars a group text saying I was there. Mars sent me a "thumbs up" and Lamb didn't respond. I kept walking to the room in which all the posters directed me to. When I was close enough I heard the pounding of music and the faint glow from the lights inside. As I walked to the door, I noticed a tall figure leaning on the side of the building.

"Hey," said Mars' familiar voice. I walked closer to him and gave him a hug.

"Thanks for waiting out here," I said, Mars just inclined his head and gave me his arm and we walked in together. The first thing I noticed about the space was that is was loud, not just in noise but in decorations. The walls were lit up with technicolor lights and there was thumping music blowing out eardrums, and everyone was yelling in order to converse. In all not my kind of party, but I was here to not be a recluse and to spend time with my friends.

It took some time and a push from Mars, but he finally got me on the dance floor. We pumped our fists in the air and jumped up and down to three songs, and then the DJ spoke into his microphone.

"Alright alright alright I hope yall are havin' a good night!" he shouted in his douchebag radio host voice, "So now we're gonna take it down a notch."

I groaned and Mars led me off the dance floor, we both had the same feelings about slow dancing. It wasn't our favorite. I found a table and we both sat down, Mars ordered some onion rings and then we started to talk.

"Macy, this is so fun. I never thought I'd have another friend again," Mars said glancing down.

"Oh my god Mars! Your a great person why wouldn't I be your friend?" I replied. He gave me a half smile and sighed.

"Macy, I don't wanna screw this up, but- I think you're special, and you mean so much to me."I could feel the blood rising to my cheeks and I looked away, but Mars took me by my shoulders and leaned across the table. I closed my eyes and waited, his lips crashed into mine and it felt so nice. The thing I'd been waiting for, I just hadn't known it.

When we broke apart I had only one thing to say to him.

"Mars will you come home with me?"

"Of course."