Laughs and Giggles

One Week Later

"Come now, Little One, I'm certain you can laugh," Sherlock mused, "I am a sociopath and even I laugh."

The consulting detective was laying down on his stomach on the bed with William on his back in front of him. Sherlock had him braced between his arms, propping up the baby boy a bit to better facilitate eye contact. William was still due to laugh for the first time and they had been trying everything to try and encourage him to do so. Thus Sherlock was trying his best to execute a funny face. To his dismay, none of the attempts impressed William.

Susanna was taking a breather and playing with Ziva in the living room- the sounds of Ziva's tags jingling making their way into the bedroom. These noises attracted William's attention far more than Sherlock seemed to be able to. He exhaled, "Alright. That doesn't seem to be working."

Sherlock gently lowered William back against the mattress and quickly got up to fetch his rattles. He quickly assumed their previous positioning, supporting his son with only one arm this time. In his other hand he held the first of three different rattles, "Come on, Hamish, there must be something you find funny. Are you going to be as stubborn as Rosie was when she started talking?" He shook the rattle at a safe distance and the sound, plus the bright colors of it, drew the little boy's gaze.

William flexed and kicked out his legs, even smiling and cooing. Sherlock smiled and shook the rattle in different patterns, moving it around. William followed it with his eyes but didn't laugh. So Sherlock switched to the next one, and then the next. William came very close to giggling a few times, but it just didn't happen.

"Okay. Susanna and John say that tickling you might elicit the long awaited laughter you've been keeping in," Sherlock put down the rattles and started to tickle William's tummy. Immediately he reacted- squirming and flexing and grinning, "Are you gonna laugh?"

All he got was growling, "So close, Little One, come on!" Sherlock tickled a little more intensely. When William growled more he responded with the same noise- just playing along. Sherlock started tickling William's feet instead.

Again, William just barely laughed. But Sherlock was determined to get him to at least giggle.

"Still no luck, Darling?" Susanna asked, carrying Ziva in with her. Sherlock grunted in response, "Not even tickling is helping?"

"He's come very close to laughing quite a few times but just doesn't seem to get the rest of it out."

She sat down on her side of the bed and released Ziva. The feline walked over to Sherlock and nuzzled his face, purring loudly. He ignored the fluffy cat's disturbance and continued to focus on William. Then Ziva flopped down on her side beside the two Holmes boys, claiming Sherlock's arm with one paw. Susanna scooted closer and tapped her fingers over William's belly, "Are you holding out on us, Honey?"

As she tried her hand again, her long reddish blonde hair fell into Sherlock's view and he quickly pushed it away, "Mind your tresses, Love."

"Mmm?" She swung her head playfully and her hair whipped right back. Sherlock grunted and blew it out of his face this time. Of course it didn't move very far but as he blew again, this time with much more dramatic flair, William giggled.

He pushed Susanna's hair out of the way, "That had to have been a laugh!"

Susanna giggled excitedly, "Try it again, Darling!" He let it fall back and then blew it again. William's face scrunched into another grin and he giggled a little more, "Oh, is that funny, William? Is it funny when Daddy does that?"

She tickled his tummy and he finally started laughing. Sherlock chuckled, "There it is! There's the laugh we've been expecting for two weeks!"

Susanna bent down and peppered William with kisses, eliciting even more giggles, "You were holding out on us, honey! You're as stubborn as Sherlock!" The detective smirked.

"Did he find only one of us or both of us funny?" He inquired.

"Both, I think," Susanna grinned, "William, you've got the sweetest little giggles!" She gushed and tickled him a bit more before Sherlock took over. William flailed his hand and gripped a fistful of her hair before she could sit up fully, "Ohh!"

Sherlock snickered, "I won't have that problem." She playfully smacked his shoulder.

"Okay, honey, let's let go of Mummy's hair, alright?" William grinned mischievously, "Oh that is so a Sherlock look!"

"A Sherlock look?"

"Mm-hm! That was exactly your face when you're up to no good, Darling. And you're doing it now!" He smirked and pulled her down, "Hey!"

"No good?"

"The worst." He chuckled and pressed a solid kiss to her lips before releasing her.

Thank you for reading!!