The Quickening {Susanna}

Mid July

I'm talking to Sherlock from the bathroom when I feel it- more pronounced than before. I've been feeling flutters for a while but this one feels a lot stronger. When it happens again I stop mid sentence and look down at my growing belly. Maybe..?

Sherlock has been eager to finally feel the baby move. When I told him I was feeling flutters he was quite upset to not share the experience at the same time. But today could finally be the day that he does.

"Susanna? Are you alright?" Sherlock calls from the kitchen. I don't reply, pressing my hand over my stomach.

"Come on, baby. Again?" I whisper. It takes a few seconds but it happens again and my heart bursts when I can feel them moving with my hand. Unable to contain my excitement I cry out, possibly shriek, and bounce a bit on my feet, placing both hands over my belly.

I register hurried footsteps and then the bathroom door flies open, smacking the wall. Sherlock tumbles in, "What's wrong?!" He grasps my forearms, "Susanna, why did you shriek?!"

"Sherlock, I'm fine!"

"Then why did you-"

"Sherlock!" I take his hand and press it to my stomach, "Just wait a second, darling."

"What-?" He silences as soon as he feels the baby move. I grin.

"Did you feel that?"

"Yes!" He answers excitedly, "Finally I can feel them too!"

If ever Sherlock looked triumphant, it's now. His face lights up like a Christmas Tree, probably like mine, and I move my hands so he can place his other hand on my belly. I giggle, "Better than using the doppler, Sherlock?" He bought a home-use doppler device which he enjoys using to hear the baby's heartbeat. He can't see them with it but now that he can feel the baby, it won't matter.

Sherlock nods, "Yes, much better, Love."

"I'm sorry I worried you. I was just so excited-"

"Understandably so. You're forgiven," Sherlock hums and then leans down to kiss me, "We don't have anything important planned for today, correct?"

"I've got to go and meet the new interns today."

"Not for a while, though."

"At noon."

"Fine," He slips his arms around me and pulls me in for a warm, loving embrace, "Susanna?"

"Yes?"

"Now will you stop taking your bike? Please?"

I sigh, "Alright, I'll stop taking the bike."

He exhales, "Thank you, Love."

I giggle as he peppers me with blissful kisses, "You're in a good mood!"

"Why wouldn't I be? My stubborn wife finally agreed to stop riding her motorbike and the Quickening has happened at last!"

"That doesn't mean that you tear it up because I'm letting you use it, Sherlock." I warn, knowing that he'll probably make excellent use of my bike for cases.

"Would I tear up your bike?"

"I don't know, we have an issue keeping appliances for more than a month," He gives me a look, "Sherlock, I mean no experimenting with it. Don't reconfigure it or otherwise."

"Or I shall incur my pregnant wife's wrath?"

"More than likely, Sherlock."

We both chuckle and he rests his head in the crook of my shoulder, "Thank you, Susanna."

"Mm? For what?"

"Everything."

I giggle and kiss his cheek, "You're always welcome, Darling."

Thanks for reading!