First Day (II) {Susanna}

"Hello, there." I hear a deep yet friendly voice echo through the front lab. I peek my head around the door and find a tall, beefy guy in a white lab coat with a nametag standing beside the fume hood. I don't look at the tag though.

"Hello."

"First day?"

"Yes," I walk over and hold out my hand, "Susanna Holmes."

"Zachary Duke-Weathersby. People here call me Zuke, though. There's another Zachary here, we just call him Zach." He shakes hands with me.

"Good to know, Zuke. You're a Forensic Scientist as well?"

"Epidemiologist."

"Very nice."

He notices my ring, "Recently married?"

"Yeah, just this last October. How could you tell?"

"When you said your surname, you looked a mixture of excited and awkward pronouncing it. I understand," He shows his own wedding band, "My husband was the same way for a while. We've been married for a year now."

"Congratulations!" He smiles.

"And likewise, Susanna. You'll probably see Percy later. He works in the Mortuary."

"Ah, then I look forward to it." He gives me an analytical look and I quickly realize he's staring at my neck scar.

"What happened there?"

"Long story short, my throat was slit but I survived."

"That's quite a feat. And it didn't get infected? Looks like it was pretty deep."

"No. Surprisingly," I inhale, "It's been over a year since it happened. It doesn't hurt anymore."

"That's what I was about to ask. Well, my commendation to whomever patched you up. They did a fine job with it."

"Thanks."

"Anyways, I just wanted to drop in and say hello. My Lab is at the end of the hall," He smiles, "I think we'll get along well."

"So do I, Zuke."

We chat a little more and then he leaves. I go back and get my own lab coat, pinning my tag to the lapel.

The first on my list is a Toxicology Report. So I pick up the samples needing analysis from the dumbwaiter and hop to it.

Throughout the morning I am visited by most of my new coworkers. Of them, most are amicable and friendly.

At noon, Zuke comes up with Percy, who I met when I went down to the Mortuary with results. I'm finishing up lifting fingerprints to run through the databases when they walk in, "Hey, guys."

"Hello. You've been working hard."

"Of course. That's why I'm here." I smile.

"Would you like to join us for lunch?" Percy asks.

I consider, "Let me get these into the system first. Then I'd love to."

They walk in and look around the lab and at my work. Zuke hums, "I've tried several times to lift clear prints off of anything. Not my area though."

"It does take a bit of finesse."

"Is this your husband?"

"Mm?" I turn my head. On my computer, which I've set to shuffle through my pictures, is a picture of Sherlock and me in Florida last year. I nod, "Yes. That's my husband."

"He looks like that hat detective."

I almost snort with laughter, "He is the hat detective. Sherlock Holmes."

The both give me a look. Zuke crosses his arms, "Seriously? Sherlock Holmes?"

"Long story for another time," I finish up with the prints and check the rest of the lab, "But yes. I am married to Sherlock Holmes."

"Is he as smart as they say?"

"He is one of the most intelligent people in the world, so yes."

"Wow."

I chuckle, "Lunch?"

"Of course. Let's go then." They lead me out, I lock my lab and then we walk together to the Canteen. I sit with them and Giulie Barclay, whose lab is across from mine, and have an enjoyable lunch of pasta and caesar salad. Then they drop me back off in my lab and I walk to my desk, suddenly remembering that I forgot to bring it to lunch. Whoops.

As expected, there are several texts and a few missed calls from Sherlock. I promised him I would update at noon. Exhaling, I call him.

"Susanna?"

"Hey, Sherlock."

"Why were you not answering me?"

"Forgot my phone in the lab when I went for lunch. Sorry, Darling."

He sighs, "Idiot. I Love You, Susanna, but you can be so forgetful at times."

"Hey! I heard that!"

"Good first day I hope?" He diverts and I shake my head.

"Yes, Sherlock. I've met most of my coworkers and I've gotten a lot done already."

"Excellent. I have to go. Lestrade just called me to another crime scene."

"Very well. Love you!"

"Love You too, Susanna." I giggle and we hang up.

Thank you for reading!