Hunting Doina (II) {Susanna}

"How?" Sherlock inquires. I slip him the napkin.

"Edmund Derrickson and his wife are house staff for Doina and her husband Henry. He said to come later because they're out hiking and won't be back till then. In return I promised to move them out to the coast."

"And you trusted him? This could easily be a trap!" I hush him.

"Even if it is, at least we know where to look now and we can be prepared."

"What's going on?" John asks.

"We now have an address for Funar but going there could be a trap." Sherlock clarifies.

"It's not like we came without back up, Sherlock." I refute.

"Let me see that," Mycroft claims the napkin and scrutinizes it closely, "Handwriting suggests urgency and desperation. This isn't a lie and I do believe whomever gave Susanna the address is willing to help." I give Sherlock a look and he exhales deeply.

Dad sighs, "In any case, it's a clue. We do have backup and resources even it it is a trap."

It takes some convincing to get Sherlock on board, but eventually he agrees. We all head back to the cottage, where I'm instructed to go upstairs and rest. I have to explicitly tell John and Dad not to leave me at the cottage when it is time to nab Doina before Sherlock escorts me upstairs. I lay down on the bed and place a pillow in between my knees, eager to relax my back. I hear Sherlock sigh, "If we do not catch them tonight, I want you to return to London."

"Why?"

"Because you won't be easily accessible to Funar." It's my turn to sigh.

"Darling, it won't matter. She can still send her lackeys after me and then you'll be all the way out here. I won't go back until we've caught them."

"So your mind is made up, Love?"

"Yes, Darling."

Sherlock puffs out a breath and after a few seconds he sits down on the bed, creating a dip. He runs his hand along my side, "Then I will go back with you, Susanna. Niles and Mycroft can continue the hunt without us."

I turn onto my back, "Sherlock, you won't be able to focus or relax if we leave now. And neither will I. Besides, I have a strong feeling that we'll get Doina tonight."

"You do?"

"Mmm-hmm."

Sherlock lays down facing me, snaking his arm over my belly, "We need to get away from the excitement soon. It's not particularly good for the baby." As if in agreement, the baby rolls and kicks and wriggles in their confined quarters.

This triggers a Braxton-Hicks and I pull my shirt up in time to watch my stomach tighten into a ball- almost looking boxlike from my angle, "Practice contractions?"

"Yes, ooh..." I wince and Sherlock gently massages my belly for the short while it lasts. As soon as it ends, the baby kicks up a storm.

"She doesn't seem to enjoy being compressed like that."

"Oh, soon enough they'll be out in the open world," I chuckle, "You said she."

"I really do believe that it is a girl, Love," He tilts his head a bit, "And you still think it's a boy."

"Yep. Again, soon enough we'll see who's correct."

"Indeed."

We stay in bed and cuddle for a few hours before John comes up and gets us. At this point we make a quick dinner so that we can get out and catch Doina as soon as humanly possible.

The ride in the sedan is silent. Sherlock has me lean into him, allowing me to relax a bit more. The entire way I find myself lulling on the edge of sleep.

Sherlock kisses my scalp to wake me up when we pull onto the property owned by Henry Turman. It's a small manor with a few out croppings- a barn and shed mainly. Plus a small cottage for the Derricksons. The Chauffeur drives with the lights off, as slowly as possible to keep us at low visibility. Mycroft and Dad's sedan is right behind ours, followed by a few police cruisers for good measure.

The manor house's lights are on and there seems to be a party going on. Well, crash that party we shall. Our caravan comes to a stop, blockading the exit road with a straight line up. Edmund Derrickson emerges from the cottage and I get out with Sherlock, "Are they here, Mister Derrickson?" I whisper.

He nods fervently, "They've got several associates over too."

"Excellent. Several birds with a single stone." Sherlock comments.

"Thank you for your help, sir. You and Missus Derrickson will be well compensated and I have made arrangements for your relocation to whichever coastal town you so desire."

"Bless you, Miss." We shake hands.

"Go back inside. Lock the doors and windows. In case the confrontation goes awry, you needn't be in danger." Mycroft instructs. Mister Derrickson nods and heads back without a word. More of his men show up- ready for duty.

As Mycroft and Dad start for the main house, Sherlock pulls me back, "What, Sherlock?"

"Go back to the sedan and wait. If something happens I have told the chauffeur to evacuate you immediately."

I sigh, knowing I can't change his mind, "Very well."

He smiles gently and presses a warm kiss to my forehead and lips, "Don't worry. Nothing will happen to me."

"There better not." I reply and he nudges me back to the sedan. The chauffeur opens my door and helps me in. Feeling an urge, I decide to lie down and relax. So I do, closing my eyes and drifting into peaceful darkness.

The sound of the driver's door being jimmied, unlocked and opened is what jolts me awake. Before I can come to my senses completely, I watch as the chauffeur pulls a gun on the intruder but has his brains blown out after barely getting one shot out. He's promptly yanked from car and a shadowy figure- small and petite- jumps in, slams the door, and floors the gas.

Thank you for reading! Shout outs to JustaSyd and VelvetVanity!!