chapter 23

NOTICE: Due to getting published, chapters 27 onwards of A New Era have been removed from Wattpad. This is because of copyright reasons as well as Amazon guidelines.  

They left the city without incident, not even bothering to change Breeze's color as there was little time. No one stopped them or challenged them in anyway and they were out of the city within the hour. Breeze flew like the wind, determination pushing him on, as Dominique sat numbly on his back, going over what had happened in his head over and over again. He didn't hear the cries coming from the quarries, he didn't see the land change from being scared to green and lush. He didn't even register when they passed the mountain or when the sun set and the moon rose. 

It was as though he was in some kind of a trance for the whole flight. And then, when the moon was high in the sky, they arrived back at the Resistance's current base, back in the valley between the mountains. Breeze had barely touched the ground when Dominique sprang from his back, running towards the caves where he saw the lit fires, hoping above everything that Ray was here and not out. There was no plan in his head when he raced to his brother's cave, no idea of what to say. All he knew was that he needed Ray's help if he wanted to save Akira. 

He rushed past other caves, ignoring the curios looks he got from the occupants inside, until he reached his brother's. Hurtling into it he skidded to a halt. He caught sight of Celine who was in the back, rummaging about among provisions as if in search for something and for a moment Dominique though she was alone. Yet as his eyes traveled to the fire relief filled him. 

Ray was sitting by a fire with the old man, Caleb, across from him. The two had been engaged in a deep discussion, yet both trailed off and turned to stare as Dominique rushed in. 

"Dominique!" Ray exclaimed, looking far from pleased, "Where on earth have you been?" He stood to face his younger brother. 

"Ray...I....we didn't mean to.....it wasn't supposed to happen that way.....it was all going fine....." Dominique began out of breath as he tried to explain everything in one go. 

"Where were you?" Ray demanded. 

"The...city," Dominique gasped with what air he had left. 

"The city?" Ray exclaimed as he went rigid. "I said no more going to the city! And why on earth do I find coins missing the day you disappear, are you a thief now to?" 

Celine shook her head, her eyes sad as she watched the exchange while Caleb sat in silence, staring into the fire. 

"Ray..." Dominique tried, ignoring everything Ray was saying. 

"Don't even try to talk yourself out of this one," Ray growled. 

"Ray..." 

"I said don't!" Ray snapped. He shot a glance behind Dominique, as though looking for someone, not seeing them he frowned. "And where is Akira? You didn't leave her behind, did you?" 

"RAY!" Dominique yelled, having regained his breath. 

Ray froze, staring at his younger brother. Caleb looked up while Celine stared in shock at Dominique's sudden outburst. 

"They took her," Dominique looked at Ray mournfully. 

Ray stood for a moment, looking confused before his eyes narrowed, "Took who Dominique?" he asked. 

"Akira," Dominique hung his head, "They took Akira." 

There was silence, a silence which made Dominique dread what was coming next, for he knew that he was about to receive a scolding from his brother like he never had before. Yet maybe if he let his brother vent his anger first then he could get him to come up with a rescue plan.