chapter 4

NOTICE: Due to getting published, chapters 27 onwards of A New Era have been removed from Wattpad. This is because of copyright reasons as well as Amazon guidelines.  

Dominique walked from the hallway fuming. What was it with Ray always having to shout at him?

"He cares," Breeze's voice said in his head.

What made Ray think that he was in charge?

"He is," Breeze reminded him.

Dominique growled in reply as he stalked back through the tunnels. He could hear Breeze right behind him. Once he passed through sliding wall he got on Breeze and his dragon flew straight up. This time, Dominique did not enjoy the wind nor the adrenaline pumping through his veins at the steep climb, in fact, there was no adrenaline.

"Where to?" Breeze thought as they broke into the sunlight.

A picture flashed through Dominique's head.

"Of course," Breeze murmured as he rose steeply. He flew along the mountains, not bothering to rise to their height. He wasn't planning on going over them, not at the moment. Without faltering he headed in one direction, knowing the way by heart. Dominique sat, still fuming.

A while later they flew up to the edge of a forest. Breeze landed before it. Turning his head he watched as Dominique slipped from his back.

"I'll be around if you need me," Breeze told his rider before he took off again.

Dominique craned his neck, shielding his eyes against the sun as he watched his dragon circle once above and then fly off. Letting out a sigh, Dominique turned and trudged into the forest, to the one place he always went when he felt frustrated, when he needed to clear his mind and think things through, or when he just needed to blow some steam. He came here more since his brother was in charge, since they always argued over everything, since they couldn't be together for more than five minutes without arguing.

While Dominique would rather physically fight the council, Ray took the quieter approach, spending a large amount of time on making plans. Dominique had to admit that when Ray's plans were carried out they almost always went without a hitch, and yet to Dominique it took too long for Ray's plans to get from paper to reality.

The time his brother used to plan on ways to try and weaken the council could be used on actually doing things. Besides, Dominique had never been able to sit still for more than a while. He just loved action, the rush of adrenaline, the smell of danger. It was as though it was hardwired into him that he belonged in a battle field. He felt as though he were born to fight.

As he walked he ran a hand through his hair. He knew that he had over reacted with Ray back in the cave, but in his defense Ray had acted first. At least this time neither of them had ended up using their fists. Coming to think of it, since Ray became leader of the Resistance he had stopped having fists fights with Dominique like they used to

 Dominique smiled at the memory of his father having to pull them apart more than once when they were younger. Dominique usually ended up the worse of the two, being the smaller and younger one, yet Ray had never come away uninjured either as Dominique had always managed to get in a good punch or two. His father had called him a little rebel and warned Ray that one day Dominique would be his equal match.

His thoughts were cut short as Dominique reached his goal. A small clearing, too small for a dragon to land without bending over and damaging the newly growing trees at its edge. The clearing was in the middle of the woods, covered with lush green grass and spotted with a few wild flowers. Yet it was neither of those features that attracted Dominique's attention. It was the lack of human voices, with only the sound of the wind and a few birds to keep him company. It was the feeling of freedom in this small, unknown spot in the middle of nowhere. A different kind of freedom than the one he felt when flying in Breeze's back, a quieter one.