chapter 9

NOTICE: Due to getting published, chapters 27 onwards of A New Era have been removed from Wattpad. This is because of copyright reasons as well as Amazon guidelines.  

"The academy," Dominique heard Akira whisper as they drew closer to Academy City. 

"It's great, isn't it?" he asked her, "To bad only the council and some Watcher generals get to occupy it." 

"You mean they don't train dragon riders there?" Akira asked, though she sounded somewhat distracted. 

"Dragon riders?" Dominique let out a snort, "Not since the last century. Today everyone is a dragon rider, at least those who can afford it are." 

He got no reply or even a sign to show that Akira had heard what he had just said, she was too busy staring at the city below, trying to take in the fact that it was there and all that was happening in its busy streets. Breeze continued to fly over until they had passed the small shacks and other small buildings. Now when they were above the shorter of the tall buildings he slowed down somewhat. 

"Ready?" he asked. 

"Let's go mingle," Dominique thought in reply. 

In response Breeze began to descend. He flew down, aiming towards a tall building. Upon reaching it his dipped his wings and spiraled downwards around it. Suddenly he changed course and flew straight, joining an endless flow of dragons that were carrying riders. Akira's head moved back and forth as her eyes darted around, wide in wonder. No one even shot them a second glance, each seeming to busy concentrating on their own tasks. 

Dominique sat calmly, as Breeze flew along, following the dragons in front. A few times he caught sight of dragons clad in blue and black with riders sitting ridged on their back, flying along with the flow, checking that things went right and no on disrupted the flow, ready to jump to any area where their assistance were needed. Watchers, Dominique made a face. He liked them even less in the daylight. Yet none of them seemed concerned with Dominique and Breeze, not one of them even shot him a second glance making Dominique smile. It was amazing what changing the color of your dragon could do. 

"I've never seen so many dragons....outside of a battle field that is," Akira exclaimed in wonder from ahead of Dominique, she was looking downwards at the crowded streets below. Her head turned up when they flew under a high bridge on which more dragons walked. 

"Well, at least now you don't have to wonder why you don't see any outside of the city," Dominique replied dryly. His eye suddenly light up and his hands tightened around Akira as he recognized the path Breeze was taking. Moments later the dragons in front of Breeze seemed to suddenly disappear, dropping from the sky. Breeze followed, without hesitation, diving downwards along with the rest of the flow, before turning a sharp right and then leveling out again with all the rest. 

"How do they all know where to fly?" Akira asked, sounding fascinated. 

"There are signs everywhere for the set paths," Dominique replied, pointing his finger over to the side of a building on which an electric arrow flashed forwards before it briefly changed towards the right, the words 'STABLING' briefly flashed. This was their turn off. 

Without him having to say anything, Breeze turned right, away from the flow of dragons, and slowly descended until he reached the ground level and gently settled on the ground, pulling his wings towards him at once as he made contact, for once on the ground, dragons were not allowed to spread their wings due to the possibility of causing obstruction to others if they did so.