chapter 8

NOTICE: Due to getting published, chapters 27 onwards of A New Era have been removed from Wattpad. This is because of copyright reasons as well as Amazon guidelines.  

It had been a while since Dominique had slept under the stars. With two of the three hideouts being underground the chance of sleeping outside didn't come along often. The dragons slept among the ruins, under the vegetation that provided cover, making them invisible to anyone passing over head.

Dominique had informed Breeze that they were joining him and had taken Akira into the heart of the ruins. In the end they had settled down in a broken down house with no roof, where Breeze had already laid down to sleep.

A few other dragons lay sprawled around, spread throughout the different collapsed houses and sleeping peacefully. A few of them snored while others twitched their legs and tails, reacting to dreams they were having.

Akira had found a corner and curled up, falling asleep almost at once, while Dominique lay on his back some distance away, watching the stars. He stayed awake half the night, thinking things over before he had finally decided to scuttle over to Breeze and fell asleep with his head resting on his dragon's stomach.

Morning came all too soon and when he got up her found Akira gone. Panicking he sprang to his feet, whirling around, his eyes scanning every corner of the house. What if she was with the council after all and had run off to tell them where the Resistance was and how to get there?

"Relax, she's just outside," Breeze snorted. He shot a look at Dominique that showed that he was trying to figure his rider's reaction to Akira's disappearance out.

Dominique left to search for her. He found she had made her way through the vegetation and was standing staring at two pillars across from each other; the beginning of an archway was still attached to one of them.

"Hey," Dominique called out to her. Akira didn't turn to look at him. "You want to come get some breakfast?"

"I'm not going down there," Akira replied.

"Come on," Dominique groaned "There's nothing down there but us!"

"I'm not going down there," Akira repeated stubbornly.

Dominique examined her thoughtfully. "Great, I get beaten in a one on one fight by a not only a girl but also a wimp!" He raised his hands in mock disbelief.

Akira turned her head to glare at him and Dominique just grinned back cheekily.

"What? You don't want to admit that you're a wimp?" He teased.

"I know I'm not a wimp," Akira replied.

Dominique smiled. He knew he had her, "Prove it."

Akira's eyes narrowed.

"All you have to do is come down and have some breakfast while meeting the others. That's all," Dominique told her. He saw her hesitate. "Look, there's nothing down there that can hurt you, I promise."

"Breakfast," Akira began softly, not meeting his eyes. "Only breakfast and then I can come back up here?"

"Only breakfast," Dominique assured.

Akira gave a curt nod and turned to walk back the way Dominique had come. He watched her for a moment before he jogged to catch up and fell into step beside her.

"What is it that's got you so scared of the dungeons anyway?" He asked. It must have been the wrong question because in reply Akira punched him on his shoulder. "Hey!" Dominique protested, rubbing it even though it didn't really hurt. Yet he got the point and didn't return to the topic after that.