Epilogue

Zay grinned as everyone around him laughed. He took another sip of his drink, swaying slightly as he mumbled out something else. His mother watched him worriedly, noticing him for the first time since she had said the words I do on the altar. It was her wedding after all, she had a reason to forget him but she felt guilty all the same. Tom grinned at her but nodding in understanding when he saw her eyes on Zay and let his wife go talk to him.

"Zah... please don't go." He pulled her luggage behind him, wrapping an arm around her to keep her as close as possible while he could.

"Zay sweetheart, can I talk to you?" He nodded eagerly and followed her to a sofa away from the group. He swayed and sat down, holding his head gingerly. His mother held his hand, worry and tears brimming her eyes. She could see the pain, the anger, the regret in his eyes. She could see the emptiness. "What's wrong?"

"I have to Zay. Please... New York just isn't... isn't a home for me anymore. I can't stay a moment longer in this evil place." He swallowed down his temper and matched her even tone with some training. It took everything in him not to do anything stupid.

"What's wrong? I'm a famous Youtuber making huge bucks doing what I love. Being funny and spending time with nature. Why would you ask me that..."

"And your uncle and aunt? The gang? Me? We're not enough to make you stay?" She held in a few tears and put her hand on his cheek.

"Isaiah." He winced and swallowed, afraid of what she would say next. "You... You miss her, don't you?"

"We talked about this Zay. I need to leave. Find someone... Find someone better than Zah. Grab her tight and don't let go. You deserve so much better than someone as messed up and broken as me..."

He didn't say a word for a moment, his body going stiff. His mother hugged him gently and planted a kiss on his forehead, causing tears to flow down his cheeks. He wiped them away quickly before any paparazzi caught him weeping in his mother's arms. "Of course I do."

"I don't want anyone better. Zah is the best girl for me. What will I do without you you crazy nut cracker?" She giggled a little, leaning into his shoulder for a little while. She needed to absorb as much of his warmth as she could before... Before she left him. Tears made their way out of her eyes before she could stop them. He hugged her tight. "Don't cry Zah. Please don't cry."

"We all do. She did say she'd come back one day but... wouldn't want to raise your hopes up. I have to go sweetheart. Will you be okay by yourself? Where are all your friends?" He shrugged, smiling weakly.

"You're making this so hard. Why... oh why do you have to be so... Zay-tastic?" He chuckled.

"I really don't know. They said they had a surprise for me but eh. I'll be fine mah. Go have fun dancing with the love of your life." She kissed his cheek and left. He scrolled through his social media, growling as he saw more pictures of girls in lingerie or just plain nude, vying for his affection. Pathetic. He imagined Zah and stopped himself immediately, kicking himself for thinking of her like that.

"Why do you have to be so
Zah-mazing?" She wiped her eyes and detached herself from him. Her eyes shone as she stared at him with a cheeky gleam in her eyes. He loved it when she had that gleam in her eyes.

He reported each girl, blocked them and deleted all the pictures. He had gotten famous on YouTube three years prior for his nature videos. According to comments, he made science interesting and funny. All those girls... none of them would ever be his Zah. Zah wasn't the kind of girl who would beg for attention with that sort of thing. She would capture it just by being her crazy self.

"You know... I would kiss you right now but my uncle's looking so..." He chuckled. One last kiss wouldn't hurt.

He couldn't believe he still loved her after so many years. He felt ashamed of himself for letting her leave. He should have knocked her out with chloroform, carried her to his house and begged her to stay the moment she woke up. Instead... He let her go. But he knew deep in his heart she needed to leave. He just didn't want to believe it.

"I think I'll take my chances." She giggled and leaned forward, about to press her lips against Zay's before she stopped herself. "W-we can't. It'll make it harder for us to... forget each other and stuff. Just... I think I'm actually going to miss you Zay. And thank goodness the beast Savage is dead."

He heard a commotion and rose an eyebrow when he saw a crowd gathering around someone. The gang grinned at him. He sighed. Lucaya were already married with a child and another one on the way. Riarkle were next to get on the marital train and the twins would be out in about four months. Charlie had proposed to Isadora on her birthday that year and they were planning their wedding and of course, his mother who had actually married the forensic scientist. Everyone was in love and happy and... Everyone except him.

"Oh. I guess that would make sense. But hey, the next time we meet, I want one. A long, soft and sweet one too, you hear me woman?" She nodded, a sad smile making its way to her face. She grabbed her luggage from him, pausing as their hands met and pulled away slowly.

He went through the lot with an annoyed frown, nearly bursting with anger at the big goofy grins on their faces. But for some reason... The smiles weren't for each other. They were staring at him. He got even more curious and suspicious, forcing his way through the crowd.

"I- I've got to go. But long, soft and sweet is definitely happening next time." If there even is one. She kissed his cheek and darted inside, waving a little before she disappeared. He sank down to the floor the moment he got home and cried. Zah was gone.

He stood still, his feet rooted to the ground as he gazed at the sight in front of him. The woman glared at the gang, mumbling something about needing more time and how they were all Neanderthals in need of brain treatment. She froze in shock as well when her eyes rested on Zay. She attempted to comport herself but felt a little wobbly at the way he was looking at her. She was well aware that there were cameras everywhere and walked towards him calmly.

"Goodbye Zah. Goodbye."

"Hello again Zay. Pleasure to see you again." His brain went numb. He couldn't hear a word she was saying to him. He could only stare. "Zay? Zay I-" he pulled her close and kissed her.

The crowd went wild. This was the Isaiah Babineaux. The guy was a bachelor who never looked at a woman twice. How could he just kiss this random girl who wasn't even in the industry? Fans were livid yet excited and were demanding an explanation. He pulled away, a smirk on his face as he did. She groaned and facepalmed as a blush spread across her face.

"Pleasure to see you again too."

"You did not just do that. I can't believe you Zay!"

"Hey, don't look at me. You promised me a long, soft and sweet, didn't you? Or have you forgotten so soon?" She rolled your eyes.

"Great to see you again Zay. And kiss you again." She made a face and he chuckled. Zah. His Zah. It felt so unreal he nearly pinched himself. He grinned.

"You too Zah."

The book's finished humans! Thanks for reading it I guess =)