Chapter 16

"Zay?" He refused to respond to her. She sighed. He had ignored her texts the whole weekend. But it was Monday unfortunately for him so he couldn't escape. "Zaaaaaay?? Zay. Zaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy...." He rolled his eyes.

She groaned. Then she had an idea. She grabbed her notebook, tore out a piece and wrote on it. Seconds later the scrunched ball of paper hit Zay in the head. He opened it.

Come on Way!!!

He rose an eyebrow. Another one hit him.

I mean Zay. Stupid autocorrect =)

He hid his smile and threw it as far away as he could. She gasped from on top of the tree. Yep. That's right. The tree. Not the cafeteria or anything.  She hit him with another.

You know that's littering right?! YOU JUST HURT MOTHER NATURE AND NOW SHE IS GOING TO GET HER REVENGE ON- papercut!

He looked up. She had her thumb in her mouth with a pout. If he wasn't so mad he probably would have considered it cute. He grabbed his own and wrote on the paper.

She got her payback on you didn't she? Now leave me alone I'm trying to ignore you!!

She huffed and grabbed her phone. Seconds later he got a text message.

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH THAT THING HURT YOUNG MAN?! IF THAT'S HOW SHE WANTS TO PLAY IT WE CAN THROE DOWN RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW!! SHOW YOURSELF YOU DIRTY PIECE OF KALE!! YOU DISGUST ME -_-

He chuckled but didn't reply.

"Okay we need to stop doing this- the writer is hating this right now- wha... yeah. Okay." She climbed down and smacked him in the head with her book.

"OW!!"

"That's for making me tear pages out of my book- that's for making me waste my precious time, energy and seriously mad writing skills on you you uncultured swine- that's for being a stupid turnip and that's for taking sides with that she-devil they call Mama Nature!!" He grabbed her by the waist and moved her as far away as he could from himself.

"Get off me you crazy-"

"Thank you. Now. Why are you mad at me?" He shrugged. "You do know that's not an-"

"Reasons."

"Zay."

"What are you my mother? I don't have to answer to you."

"Is it because I couldn't make it yesterday?" He considered lying to her but he knew she would see right through him so he nodded.

"You're gonna turn out just like the rest of my friends aren't you? Drift away... and leave me behind."

"Come on Zay, you know they didn't do it on purpose." He scoffed. "Besides, we're not friends." He frowned.

"What?"

"Surprised?"

"I just... well..."

"I don't have friends Zay. I don't like friendship. We're just... business partners."

"Business partners?" He was so confused. Seconds ago she was all Zah like. This was a side he had never seen.

"Yep. My job is to get you out of this Savage nonsense and back to the real you. Your job is to, well, be Zay again. Nothing more, nothing less."

"But I... th- you know what? Whatever. I don't care."

"Sure you don-"

"You know so much about me just by looking. There's something you're hiding Zah." He sat up and looked straight into her eyes. Her eyes drifted away immediately. "You don't trust anyone, do you? I mean there's gotta be a reason you don't have or want friends in the first place right?" She laughed.

"What are you doing?"

"Trying to read your body language." She rolled her eyes.

"Good luck dude. There is no way you'll ever find out anything about me. Down to my first name. It'll never work."

"Are you saying I'm not smart enou-" she shook her head with a carefree shrug.

"I'm saying I'm just too good at hiding things I guess. Now, I've got to go. It's four."

"Do you have some sort of job or something you always go to at four? It's always four."

"Not exactly. You?" He shrugged.

"Maybe. Maybe not."

"I'll take that as a yes then Mr. Mysterio. Bye." She left, leaving an irritated Zay behind.

Why don't I know anything about her? I need to know more.

He got up and decided to follow her. He didn't know what he was about to  find out, but trust me, what goes well doesn't always end well.