Chapter 49

"You're... you're here..." He stared at his father with contempt.

"Son... how are you?"

"Fine."

"How's school?"

"Good."

"Where's your mother?"

"None of your business. Get out of here." The tension between them was thick. His father laughed nervously.

"What's got you so down you old killjoy? Just wanna see how my wife-"

"Ex wife."

"- and son are doing. Anything wrong with that?"

"Let me guess. Your wife left you for someone else, took the kids and half your money." His father folded his arms with an annoyed look on his face.

"I see you've done some research. Good to know. Anyway-"

"Was I not clear when I told you to leave? My mother and I are not interested in anything you have to say."

"But son-"

"Please stop calling me that."

"You're hurting me kid. You're putting your old man through a lot of pain."

"You don't know pain Mr. Babineaux. Now please. Get-" his mother opened the door, her purse dropping to the floor when her eyes met with his. Her eyes blazed with anger as she got lunged for him. The man beside her held her back. Zay realised it was that forensic scientist, Tom. He sighed and smiled at his mother, trying to calm her down. "Mom, please don't kill him."

"What is he doing in our house?! That vile disgusting basta-"

"Rebecca, would you chill? It's me, the man you fell in love with and married. Can't we settle this like adults? Maybe over a cup of coffee or-"

"Fell in love with?! FELL IN- I want to hurt you so badly... just get out. GET OUT!" He gazed at Zay's mother then Zay with contempt before his eyes settled on Tom.

"I just want to let you know, you do not want to get involved with a woman like her or a child like him. She's a dirty low down snake. Lures you in with her beauty then snaps her jaws shut over your neck. If you're not careful, your dead body might be in need of an autopsy next. And the boy? He was a mistake. Never supposed to happen." His father stared directly at him, expecting him to get angry or scream at his mother, but to his surprise, he walked to his mother's side and held the door open.

"I know I wasn't planned. But at least I know that one of my parents loves me. It's good enough for me." His mother smiled up at him. He kissed her forehead and glared at his father as he walked out of the door with his head held high, trying to salvage the little dignity he had left. Tom tapped his shoulder.

"By the way, you forgot something." He punched him straight in the face and Zay winced with a small chuckle when he heard a crack. His father held his face and glared at all of them.

"ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?! I'LL TAKE YOU TO COURT FOR THIS, I WILL! YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE LAST OF ME..." He left the apartment, cursing them as he did. Zay glanced at Tom with new found respect.

"You know... for a forensic scientist, you pack a pretty good punch Tom." He grinned.

"I think that's about the first sentence you've ever said to me. And it was a compliment too. Hallelujah." He smiled down at Rebecca who was clutching his shirt weakly.

"Amen to that. About time too. You were very brave son. I'm so proud of you!" He smiled.

"Yeah yeah, thanks. You two have fun doing whatever you do when you go out together. Not like I can't guess but then again I really don't want that picture in my head. Try not to make the mistake again, will you mah?" They both blushed.

"We don't... we dont do that... I mean I am a Christian and that is fornication and she is going through a divorce right now so... yeah, no." He nodded in surprise and realised that this Tom guy wasn't so bad after all. He was probably the best of his mother's boyfriends to be honest. As his mother made her way downstairs, Zah climbed up.

"Zah! Sweetheart, I'm sorry dear, I'm just too protective of him and I shouldn't have said all those things. I'll leave you two to talk and things." Uncle Tom raised an eyebrow at her but she shrugged innocently and accepted her apology and a hug before she knocked on the door. He opened it and shook his head.

"You escaped, huh?"

"Yep." He wrapped his arms around her, completely forgetting that he was still shirtless. She laughed nervously.

"Zay... uh..." He shot up and ran to his room but not before telling her to stay. She sat down nervously, wondering if she would tell him the news. He ran back half a minute later and sat next to her.

"Let's talk."