Chapter 47

Zay was exhausted as he walked up the steps to the flat. One week. One long, difficult week. He hadn't slept in ages. The day after he opened his eyes, expecting to see Zah right beside him but she was gone. He didn't think much of it, expecting that she had gone back to her uncle's and spent a good deal of the morning playing with her little brother. When her aunt and uncle came in and informed him that they thought she was with him, he knew there was a problem somewhere.

He and his friends had gone through every spot she had been in, even stopping by the bar where he and Nathan worked. They asked everyone, Salem and Toby included. She was no where to be found. Zay was shaking with worry and it didn't exactly help when he accidentally forced Riley to spill about how Zah had asked her about suicide. His mother had to order him to go home and rest but he couldn't stop himself from thinking about where she was.

New York had always been a dangerous city. The streets were crawling with rapists, drug addicts and serial killers. He found himself praying that she would be safe everyday. He was really regretting how he made Riley cry though.

"Oh Zah, I hope she's alright. After what she told me in the mall... I..." She covered her mouth. Zay turned around.

"What was that Riley?"

"N- nothing. I... gotta go!" She dashed off but Zay grabbed her before she had ran five feet.

"Riley..."

"I..." He held her against a tree. She flinched.

"Tell me. Tell me what she told you right now Riley!"

"I can't! I was sworn to secrecy! I promised I would never tell a soul."

"What?!"

"Zay, calm down. Just tell him Riles. Zah will understand-"

"No way Maya. I'm sorry Zay but we both told each other things and we both promised to keep them secret." He let her go, his shoulders sagging. She sighed and placed a hand on his shoulder. "I'm sorry Zay but it's for the best. It won't even help anyway. It'll just make you sad."

"I... I don't. I don't care. I DON'T CARE RILEY! LOOK AT ME! DO I LOOK LIKE I'M HAPPY RILEY?! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH PAIN I'M IN RIGHT NOW?! ZAH COULD BE OUT THERE IN THE STREETS OF NEW YORK IN TROUBLE OR IN PAIN OR DEA- dead. SHE COULD BE DEAD RILEY! ZAH, MY ZAH COULD BE OUT THERE, DEAD IN A DITCH OR-"

"Don't think like that Zay-"

"I'LL THINK HOWEVER THE HELL I WANT TO! RILEY!" She flinched again but remained silent. "What if it was Farkle. What if it was Farkle Riley?!"

"Zay, don't-"

"WHAT IF HE WAS THE ONE IN TROUHLE OR IN PAIN, ALONE AND AFRAID, LOST WITH NOWHERE TO STAY AND NO ONE TO COMFORT HIM OR DEAD IN A DITCH ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD?! WHAT IF IT WAS HI-"

"ZAY! STOP IT-"

"N-no, Farkle. It- it's okay. She asked me if I ever wanted to kill myself. We talked a bit about insecurities and stuff and I tried to tell her that we all loved you, mentioning you specifically but she seemed sceptical. Just calm down! Things aren't easy for anyone now that she's gone! I know these streets are dangerous! You all think I'm stupid and naive but I'm not! I know! Everyone has a struggle in this life from the happiest and richest to the poorest and most miserable. I just... I hope she doesn't do anything stupid." She wiped her eyes and stared at him with a gleam in her eyes, daring him to do his worst. He stepped back with an apologetic look on his face.

"I... I'm sorry. I haven't slept in ages and I just... I just can't be alright till she's back, you know... I just can't... I'm sorry Riley."

"It's fine. We're all worried. Doesn't mean you have to take it out on me though." She punched his shoulder. He grinned weakly and winced when his someone grabbed hold of his ear. There was only one person with such a supernatural grip.

"Yes mother?"

"Isaiah Babineaux you are going to home right now!" He scowled.

"But mah-"

"Don't "but mah" me, move it. Don't make me take you there myself-"

"I'm going, I'm going. Cheese." He rolled his eyes when he caught "Tommy" staring at his mother. He  ignored the urge to gouge out his eyes and looked away.

He was half asleep when he got a text.

Hey Zay, we found her! Get to St. Mary's hospital asap. It's the one near our school. I'll send you the location if you don't know it.

I know the way, thanks Lucas.

She was in the exact same hospital her brother was in. But why she was in the hospital? Worry and anxiety rushed into him as he imagined what they had done to her or what she had done to herself. He walked into the hospital with clammy hands and entered the room she was in. Her wrists were covered in bandages and here face was pale. She was in at the farthest corner of the bed. He moved closer to her and flinched when she glared at him.

"Uh... what happened to her doctor?"

"She was found in the streets unconscious with deep slits on her wrists which we suspect were of her own doing. Self harm."

"Who brought her here?"

"A homeless guy. He's right outside that door." He walked out and blinked. The man was dirty and wore tattered clothes with a shaggy grey beard. He stuck out a hand. Zay took it.

"Jacob."

"Isaiah. You... you saved her life. I can't tell you how much it means to any of us but thank you." He laughed it off.

"No big deal. It seemed like the right thing to do."

"You're a Christian?"

"Jesus keeps me going everyday." Zay held out money to him. He shook his head. "Keep it. If I get a reward here I won't get one up there."

"I'm sure you would. You did a really good thing. Thank you. Are you sure you don't want-"

"Nah. I'm good." Zay nodded and hugged the man, on the verge of breaking down. He patted the boy's shoulder and smiled. "Everyone's got their demons my friend. I hope your girlfriend can find strength in the Lord to defeat her demons." Jacob left as quickly as he arrived. Zay walked into her ward and knelt down on the floor, tears flowing from his eyes. Thank you for saving her Lord. Thank you.