Chapter 40

"Zay, I'm so sorry... why am I so dumb?" She groaned and slid to the floor, curling into a ball and sighing. The air between them was tense. Zay sat on his bed, speechless. He wondered how he was supposed to feel about what had just happened. "I'm such a screw up- gosh I'm sorry-"

"You have nothing to be sorry about. And you are not a screw up. You're anything but a screw up. Okay?" She stared up at him and let out a breath.

"Yeah. It felt so... weird."

"You felt it too?" She nodded. "So... what now?" She held her chin and rubbed it quizzically. "Hey! That's my thing."

"Too bad. I stole it."

"Steal away. Makes you look cute." She glared at him. "What? Too soon to play a little?"

"That was more of flirtation than just playing. You play a good game though cowboy. I tip my hat to you. What to do, want to do, what to- hey Zay, you do ballet right?"

"Yeah? Why?"

"Good, good, have you ever watched Crazy, Stupid, Love?"

"No. Why?" Her lips quirked up.

"Let's play a game, shall we?"

. . .

"Zah, this is a stupid idea." Her shoes were at the other side of the room. He had his arms open, ready for her to jump into them at top speed. Well, not exactly ready. More like forced.

"No it's not. I just wanna know if the "big move" works."

"Don't you get it? It must've taken tons of tries before they actually got that in the first place. How do you expect us to do it on the first try?"

"Don't you take ballet? Why'd you even start in the first place?" He smirked at his brilliance.

"It's a great place to lift up beautiful women."

"The fact that you're actually proud of that makes me sick. And I thought you said you couldn't see beauty." He froze.

"Right... I was lying. Let's do this thi-"

"Seriously Zay? Where's the trust in our relationship, huh? Where's the trust Zaybe baby?" He rolled his eyes.

"Thanks Zah, you just reminded me that we need to talk about those texts-"

"Would love to but we're about to do the move. Shut your face hole." She put on the song, "Time of my Life" and turned to Zay, rubbing her hands evilly. He swallowed.

"Th-this is a really bad idea-" she ran to him and jumped. He lifted her up, struggling but eventually managing her weight. She kicked repeatedly before getting her legs into the air. She smiled victoriously before her brown eyes and Zay's clashed. He put her down slowly and kept his eyes on hers. She giggled nervously and retreated till her back was against the wall.

"S-see? I-it wasn't so b-bad... Zay?" He pinned her against the wall and smashed his lips against hers without thinking. There was a brief silence between them when they broke apart. They were both blushing immensely. Then a voice was heard.

"Get out." They both spun around. His mother was standing there with a disapproving look on her face. His aunt sent an apologetic glance their way.

"M- mah, how was your date?"

"I want this girl out if this house now. I should have known it would end up like this. And thanks a lot for keeping an eye in them sis. Though after the lipstick incident, I should have myself to blame for trusting you with this kind of thing. We are going to talk after I change son and she better be gone by then or I don't know what will save you two from my wrath." She walked past both of them and stopped to give Zah a withering glare. "Should've kicked you out when I had the chance." She walked to her room and slammed the door shut. Zah looked up at Zay barely holding her tears.

"I... I guess I'll see you tomorrow. T-tell your mother I'm sorry. I was just born a screw up I guess." His eyes softened and he reached out to her.

"You're not-"

"Don't touch me." She walked over to the door and smiled weakly when his aunt hugged her. "Bye." She climbed down the stairs trembling as torrents of tears flowed down her cheeks. Zay shared a look with his aunt and headed for his mother's room, forcing all thoughts of Zah to the back of his mind.

"Mom?" The door creaked as he opened it. He winced when he caught sight of her sagged shoulders. His aunt sat next to her and wrapped an arm around her. He remained standing.

"Sis? What happened on that date?"

"Nothing."

"Was that Tommy guy a jerk? Did he do anything you didn't like?"

"No... He was a perfect gentleman sis. I'm fine." He paced around trying to get Zah's face out of his head.

"DAMMIT MOM, WHAT HAPPENED ON THAT DATE?!" She stood up and looked at her son with a gaze that I can only describe as contempt. He stumbled back.

"Don't you talk to me in that tone Isaiah. You don't- you have no idea- why did you two have to kiss now?"

"Wh- What?"

"Don't you give me that innocent confused look Zay. That's how it starts. The girl has you wrapped around her finger! Sooner or later it'll get too heated and... I just... I just don't want you to make the same mistake I made."

"Mistake?" She sighed.

"Clay and I... I mean you..."

"I... wasn't planned." She let out a breath and stared at her hands. Zay swallowed, unsure of what to say. His heart sank down into his chest and he felt a thousand questions in his head. "Why didn't she tell me? Is that... is that why dad left? He just didn't want an unplanned child..."

"What? Zay, no! He didn't leave because of you. I would never have done that with him if I had known... but it brought you into this world honey." She held up his head. There were tears in his eyes. She choked down a sob and smiled. "I love you Zay. God loves you. Never forget that. He's the only father you need." He nodded quickly and held his head. There was too much in it at the same time.

"Okay mah. I'm gonna... gonna go to my room now."

"Okay dear. I'm really sorry for chasing her out again." Her expression hardened. "I just didn't want you to repeat my mistake. She seems innocent but then again, so did I. Your own mother. I need you to be careful around her and-"

"Mother?"

"Yes dear?"

"I kissed her."

"What?" He walked out of the room and headed for his room. He lay on his bed and stared at the ceiling, wondering what to think about first.