Chapter 30

"WHAT?!" He chyckled.

"Chill Zah. It's just a friendly date or whatever. If they have those that is." She was quiet for a moment.

"On one condition. We're going to ze mall."

"Why?"

"Reasons?" He shrugged it off and nodded.

"Fine by me. You do need some new clothes now that you're living with me." She winced immediately.

"Oh no. What is wrong with you?! The cringe is real. #ULTIMATECRINGE. How am I supposed to survive this... shopping?!?!"

"A RAT!"

"WHAT?! WHERE?!" She looked for a tree to climb on but considered the fact that she was in public. She turned to Zay and eyed him suspiciously before jumping on his back.

"GEEZ WOMAN!"

"What? Did it bite you? Are you a superhero now? Can you be a villain instead? They're better by far." He made a face and tried to pry her off his back.

"Zah! People are looking..."

"Please. If I had done what I wanted to do someone would've called the fire department by now. Be grateful." He sighed and placed his hands around her thighs. She hugged his neck with this huge smile on her face.

"This is really weird. Zah!"

"Hush." He grumbled all the way to the mall. She got off him and dusted herself off. "See? Easy peasy." He panted.

"FOR YOU!"

"Harsh, Savage. Harsh. I thought we were friends!"

"Friends? You admit it?"

"Whoops. Business partners. Stupid autocorrect." He let out a strained smile. "Most pathetic smile I've ever seen-"

"Why are you constantly almost always dying?! Is it a thing? Are you just a high maintenance chick I happened to bump into or what?"

"Darkness stalks me like prey. It totally is a thing. So if I'm so high maintenance maybe you should just drop me like hot buns and leave huh?" He giggled.

"... hot bunz... classic-"

"Wh- did you hear a word I- forget it. Bye!" She walked towards a clothes store, knowing he would probably follow her.

"Zah, wh-"

"What's your size for clothes?"

"Uh..." he told her and she walked around the store swiping things from hangers.

"Try this on." He rose an eyebrow but shrugged and entered the changing rooms. Zah quickly found the outfit she was looking for and paid. Zay came out with an annoyed expression on his face.

"Really?" She turned around and squealed slightly without knowing. He was wearing a plaid shirt with jeans and boots. He took off his cowboy hat and sighed. "You'll never accept Savage, will you?"

"I want him back you demon. You think it's a joke Zay, you have no idea. You're playing with forces you couldn't possibly-"

"Yeah yeah, I've heard it all before. Where are my actual clothes? I wanna change back."

"Sucks to be you bro. I disposed of them."

"But I wanna change!"

"Quit whining dummy. I hate shopping but once I get in the zone things get done."

One incredibly boring shopping montage later, Zah sighed in relief and went to pay. The clothes she wanted were all black or grey for the most part. Zay made a mental note to ask her if she'd stopped liking fandoms. He bit his lip as she paid for the clothes and flinched.

"Hey Zah, I'm gonna go... somewhere..." he walked out of the store and out of the mall. He sat on a bench and sighed. "So cheap you can't even offer to buy her clothes. Retard."

"Meowch. That sounded painful." He turned around and froze. It wasn't Zah. It was a girl. He shrugged it off like he shrugged off everything else in his life. His friends, his mother, Izzy, his dad. Now that was a retard of a man. Vanessa. He stopped short, hardly noting that the girl had sat next to him.

"Do you know a Zara Thompson by any chance?" Zara?

"I believe so. Why do you ask?"

"Good." She sat next to him. He rose an eyebrow but didn't move an inch because he was curious. "Rumours going round you know. Tell her Salem was here and sh-"

"Get away from him Salem." She eyed Zah and shrugged it off.

"Maybe I like the close proximity-" she grabbed her by her hair and dragged her off the bench.

"It's a shame then."

"Your boyfriend looks clueless. Should I tell him a bit about your history D?" Zah bit her tongue and dragged the girl some feet away from an anxious Zay.

"Shut it."

"But Zah, I wanna watch this bond you have break and fall like ours did." Zah sighed.

"I... You want closure Salem? Fine. You were the Sabrina to my Chloe. You were a maid, a follower, a helper. You lied for me, cheated for me, stole for me. That was back then. I hope you've grown some back bone now and aren't the spineless coward I used to know. The new clothes show confidence but it's a new chapter in your life, I get it. You're scared. It's a risk. If you want a better life though, its one you're gonna have to take. I wish you the best Sabrina. I hope you make it through. I'm trying to." She awkwardly patted her shoulder. Sabrina twitched.

"It's Salem."

"Yeah yeah you love magic we-"

"I hate you D."

"You too Sal. I'll... see you. I guess." She rolled her eyes and walked away. Zah walked back to Zay, feeling kind of ashamed. "Sorry. Whatever she told you, it was a lie. It was my past so yeah. It's not like you're past was so squeaky clean either. Was it?" He chuckled.

"We seriously know nothing about each other. Well, we know some things but not the main parts."

"Yep. That's why we are acquaintances. Business partners. Nothing more nothing less." He flinched and grabbed her arm.

"Where are we going again?"

"To get wasted kid."

Huh. Never thought I'd see the day. My poor messed up children. Why do the main characters always end up with daddy issues though? I should write a book about a totally normal girl who falls for a totally normal guy. I mean does everyone really have some sort of dark secret they keep from everyone or is it just- anyway, that's the end of that.