Chapter 25

~Liam's POV~

I sit in my room, opening the photo album on my lap. Amy is at Mandi's house, Louis and Zayn are with their girlfriend/fiances, and Harry is at the studio. Niall is asleep in the room next to mine, giving me time to be alone. I look down at the first picture and smile, seeing myself on my dad's shoulders laughing while he runs around our yard. As I flip through the pages I see my mum, dad, and me all having the time of our life and being happy. We had a nice family, we loved each other, and all that was destroyed by a man who was once my dad's best friend. One thought has been plaguing my mind ever since Niall told me what Greg had revealed to him. What did my dad do to Greg?

I try to shake the thoughts out of my head by turning the page of the album once again. I can't help but smile when I see myself, ten years old, holding a newborn baby in my arms and smiling happily. Amanda. All of my life back then is a haze, as I spent my time trying to forget those years. But one thing that always comes to mind is the image of my mum crying when the doctors told her that my sister was deaf. How did I forget that? How could I have forgotten that my sister was born deaf?

I continue to turn the pages, tears welling up in my eyes as I see Amy laughing, celebrating her first birthday, taking her first steps. Then I see a picture that makes my heart stop. It's me, holding an overnight bag, with a caption. "Liam's heading off to his first overnight camp." I whisper, reading the words below the picture. That was the last time I ever saw my parents. I turn the page, and my blood runs cold when I see the next picture. My dad, smiling, his arm around another man who's smile is almost sinister. "Geoff and Robert together again after the longest time." I read, scanning my mum's careful handwriting. The date underneath is the day before my eleventh birthday. The day before my parents died. The day before 'Robert' killed them. I turn the page again, expecting the next page to be blank, but instead I find myself face to face with my dad one last time. His eyes are open, but they're glazed over and he's staring at nothing. Dead. The caption is written in messy handwriting that has to be Greg/Robert's. "I'm not finished yet, Geoff. Your son will be joining you soon." I read. I'm faintly aware of a scream before the world goes black.

~Niall's POV~

I'm startled awake by an ear-piercing scream coming from the room next to mine. I jump out of my bed, running into the room next to mine and stopping in my tracks when I see Liam lying on the bed. I hear footsteps behind me and Paul pushes past me into the room, picking Liam up. "He's okay, not injured or anything. He just blacked out. But why?" Paul asks, speaking his thoughts out loud. I see an open book on Liam's bed and walk closer, realizing it's a photo album. It's open to a page with one picture, and when I read the caption I feel my face lose all color.

"I think I know why Liam fainted." I say, showing Paul the page. His eyes widen and he looks at Liam, then the picture.

"Geoff must be his dad. The man in that picture is dead, that much is obvious. Greg or Robert or whatever his name is put that in the book. I think the threat in the message combined with the picture of his dad were too much for Liam. He should come around soon, but take that book somewhere else, please." Paul commands me. I pick up the book and walk toward the door, stopping when a piece of paper falls out, falling to the ground. Paul watches curiously as I bend over, picking up what appears to be a note. The paper is folded multiple times and the only visible word is Liam's name, written in the same handwriting as the caption on the last picture. Before I can move, Liam groans, squirming in Paul's arms. He shoots up suddenly, looking around frantically, and his eyes land on the book in my hand.

"Liam, this letter fell out of the album when I was going to move it. It's addressed to you, from Greg, I think." I say, holding out the letter. Liam takes it from me and slowly opens it, reading through, his face getting paler at every word. As soon as he's done he drops the note and runs out of the room, and I catch a glimpse of tears on his cheeks before he disappears. Without even thinking I pick up the letter and read it out loud.

"My dear Liam, I am writing this letter as a warning. I know that if you've found this it means that you know the truth about your parents, so let me tell you something. Your father deserved everything that hit him. He stole my love from me, so I made him watch as his love was taken from him, then I took his life as well. But that wasn't good enough. I have to even the playing field, and you are the final piece. With you gone, I will finally complete my revenge. So be warned. I don't care if I'm dead when you finally read this letter, I have men who will chase you down even after I die. Because my quest will not be complete until you are dead, Liam Payne. You don't understand, and you never will, but you deserve it, just like your parents did. You shouldn't exist, and I'm going to make sure that you don't. Mark my words, as long as you are alive you aren't safe, and neither are your friends. Your sister is worthless to me, so she is safe, because she is innocent. Beware, Payne, because I am coming for you. Signed, Robert Smithens." I read, looking up at Paul. "This man is bonkers! None of that made any sense!" I complain, anger flaring through me at the man that killed my best mate's parents.

"I think that's the point, Niall. It wasn't supposed to make sense to anyone but Liam, and I think it made perfect sense to him. That's what Greg wants, to make Liam weak then strike him down." Paul says, sighing. "We have to be careful. Greg is trying to break him piece by piece." I nod, and the door opens. Liam walks in, his eyes red. I immediately run to him and envelop him in a tight hug.

"Thanks, Nialler." Liam whispers, his voice shaky. He's started calling me Nialler a lot, I'm not sure why. I don't mind though, because if calling me that makes Liam smile then I'm okay. The fact that I kinda like the nickname is an added bonus.

"No problem, Lili." I say, thinking up probably the worst nickname in history. But it does it's job, because Liam laughs, pulling away and raising an eyebrow.

"Lili?" He asks, grinning. I shrug, blushing a bit. "Aw, it's okay Niall. I was just surprised is all." Liam says, hugging me tightly. "Did you remember anything during your sleep?" He asks, trying to avoid talking about the letter. I nod, smiling to myself.

"Lots of fans, a stage, and something about a movie premiere?" I ask, and Liam nods, smiling wider.

"That's great, Niall! You're almost caught up! That happened about six months ago, so you only have three months left to remember." He says happily, and I smile.

"I remember what's important, though. And that's what counts. Liam, are we ever going to be safe?" I ask, thinking back to Greg's warning. Liam tenses up, then shakes his head, ignoring Paul's sigh.

"I wish I could say yes, but I feel like I'd be lying. You would be safe if Greg killed me, because he'd leave you alone. But I won't let that happen." Liam says, smiling. I nod, resting my head on Liam's shoulder.

"I won't, either. No one will let it happen, Liam. Greg isn't going to touch you." Oh, how wrong I am. Because right at that moment, Liam's phone starts to ring. And we all know that that never ends well.