Chapter 7

~Liam's POV~

It's here, it's now. I'm meeting with management, my four best friends by my side, about to discover if I can keep my sister or not. Amy is here too, but she's not in the room. She's with Eleanor and Perrie, watching and waiting. I take a seat at the table, Harry and Niall next to me and Louis and Zayn are next to them. Greg, the leader of our management, stands, looking straight at me. "I understand that you have a younger sister." He says, getting right to the point. I nod, nervous. "And she's deaf?" Another nod. "You want to adopt her." A statement, not a question, but I nod anyways. "Liam, you cannot adopt this girl."

I stare at him, shocked. "W-What?" I ask, stuttering.

"I said, you are not adopting her. She's lived in an orphanage since she was a baby, a few more years won't hurt her." Greg says, his tone bored. I stand, anger blurring my vision.

"Have you forgotten I was in an orphanage, too?! Those were the worst years of my life!! There were bullies around every corner, no one even dreamed of adopting me, and I wasn't even deaf, like Amy!!! That place is probably hell for her!! And besides, you can't keep me from my family." I explode, shocking myself as well as everyone else in the room.

"I'm sorry, Liam, but either she goes or you do." Greg says without the slightest emotion.

"Then I guess I'm leaving." I say simply.

All four of my friends stare at me, their expression a mixture of shock and sadness. Greg is frozen, obviously not expecting that answer. "You've ruled my life for years, and I've always gone along. But this draws the line. You will not keep me from my family. So if you're saying that I can't save my little sister, then I'm saying goodbye." I say, glaring at Greg, who doesn't seem affected.

"You cannot adopt the little deaf girl, Liam. You can't care for her!" He tries one last time. I shake my head.

"And if I do?" I ask defiantly.

"Then One Direction will be losing a member."

I look at Harry, Niall, Louis, and Zayn, sadness overwhelming me. "I'm sorry, guys. But I can't." I say. They all nod, one after the other, until I know I have friends on my side. Only then do I look back at Greg. "Well then I guess this is goodbye." I say, turning and walking out the door before any of them even register what I said.

I walk to the room that Eleanor and Perrie are in, and they both stare at me, much like the boys did. "Are you really leaving?" Perrie asks, a sleeping Amy in her lap. I nod, looking at the little girl who looks so peaceful and innocent.

"I can't send her back there, I just can't. I have to protect her." I say simply, picking my sister up.

"But where will you go?" Eleanor asks, walking over.

"Home. Back to where I came from, I guess. I've got money, I can buy an apartment for the two of us. Girls, there's just one thing I ask of you two." I say, walking toward the door.

"What is it, Liam? Anything." Perrie says. I force a smile.

"Keep the lads from following me." I say, turning and walking out the door.

I start walking down the hallway, away from the meeting room where I gave up my career for my family. I hear pounding footsteps and four familiar voices shouting my name, so I stop, turning around. "Liam, please, think about what you're doing." Louis begs me.

"I already have, Louis. Put yourself in my situation. If you had to choose between your sisters' lives and your career, what would you choose?" I ask.

"My sisters." Louis says without hesitation.

"But it not her life in stake!" Zayn protests.

"What if you knew that your sister was getting bullied to the point that she didn't want to live anymore, and the only way to save her was to quit the band?" I question.