They Mostly End Up Dead

Where did I go wrong? I lost a friend somewhere along in the bitterness. I could've stayed up with you all night had I known how to save a life.
-How To Save A Life by The Fray

I see Caleb through the window and I wave. He brushes me off and continues pacing around the room. I climb into his window and grab his shoulders. "What's wrong?" I say scrunching my eyebrows together. "It's nothing you should worry about. Now, go back to your room and study. You have an English test tomorrow." He says smiling.

"Aren't you forgetting that you're in my English class as well?" I challenge. "If I don't pass I can always pay the professor off." He smirks but then quickly shuts up. He's hiding something isn't he.

"I'm sure he doesn't want your money. Plus, he wouldn't accept $100 from you. We both know he can earn that by selling his hat collection. What's really going on?" I cross my arms hoping he would give me an honest answer.

He smiles and leaves his room. I look out his window and see his getting on his motorcycle. Where is he going? I run downstairs and get on my bicycle following him

Half an hour pasts and we finally reach. "Why are you at a mansion?" I say throwing my arms in the air.  He turns around and his eyes go wide. "Dani? Did you follow me here?" I look down embarrassed. "Please tell me the truth. No more lies remember." He sighs and begins explaining.

"My father earned a lot of money during his kidnapping business so he bought me a mansion here in Canada if I ever needed to escape from the cops. Obviously I turned down his offer but he gave me the house anyway. He doesn't know that his property is still mine. He thinks I sold it."

I blink a couple times trying to process this information. "So if this is your home then why do you live in a normal house beside me?" I look around the garden outside and might I say, it is lovely.

"My family comes here to hide from Blake whenever he finds us. We've moved houses and houses throughout years trying to stay away from that bastard. He can't even put a tracker on us because as soon as we enter this forestry, all electricity is cut off until we make it here. Then obviously I can pick and choose which electronics I want to work in this house."

"Who's Blake?" I ask still confused. "Blake is my father but I hate calling him that because he's nothing but trash to me." He opens the door to the mansion and I walk inside. There's information that I'm not picking up on. Why is he running away from Blake? I couldn't possibly ask him that though. I can't let my curiosity get the best of me.

"Welcome to the Ryder Residence." He chuckles shoving his hands into his pockets. I look around the mansion and my eyes go wide. This is beautiful and huge! Well, I mean it is a mansion but still. LOOK AT THIS PLACE! "You need to stop following me or else you'll get into an unwanted situation. Don't you remember when Blake kidnapped you? He's a dangerous man." He said with something twinkling in his eyes. I couldn't tell if it was concern or just the sun in his eyes.

I nod my head and walk back to my bicycle. I hear some shuffling coming from the bushes but I ignore it. It gets louder and louder and I quickly turn to Caleb. "Caleb..." I say pointing to the bushes. He puts his arm in front of me for protection and then slowly walks towards the bushes. "Daniella! Long time no see." A man walks out of the bushes and I quickly move back. Caleb takes out a gun from his pocket and points it at him.

"Oh son, there's no need for that. I have ten men waiting behind the bushes so don't push your luck." Caleb slowly puts his gun back into his pocket. Where did he get a gun from? He doesn't have a gun licence and you can't get them without one in Canada.

"Go get on my motorcycle." Caleb whispers to me without taking his eyes off of Blake. I stay frozen and knit my eyebrows together nervously. "Dani, GO!" He raises his voice at me making me startle. His face softens and instantly regrets his tone. "I'm sorry but please go." I quickly grab a helmet and sit on the bike.

"Caleb, I'm not here for you. I'm here for your precious Daniella." He takes a step closer and Caleb pulls out his gun again. "Give me Daniella and you won't get hurt."

"I don't care if I die. I won't let you touch her." He chuckles shaking his head. "Oh Caleb, when will you learn not to bring girls into this. They mostly end up dead." Wait, what? Is that why Caleb is so protective of me when it comes to Blake? "Don't bring her up." He pulls the trigger on his gun and shoots the sky creating a diversion. He quickly runs to me and starts his motorcycle. He races off in full speed.

My head starts to spin and I hold onto Caleb as tight as possible. An engine starts behind us and someone grabs me by the waist and pulls me onto their motorcycle. "CALEB!" I scream. The man starts to drive faster than Caleb but then he shoots his wheel. The bike spin around in circles and I fall, landing on my leg. Ouch.

He picks me up and places me on his bike before driving away. He goes as fast as possible and we shortly reach home. He picks me up and puts me on his couch. He goes to his kitchen and comes back with an ice pack. "Does it hurt?" He asks sitting beside me. "Not that much. It's not broken so I guess that's good." I force a smile up at him but he just frowns.

"This is why I told you not to follow me. My dad would've killed you if I didn't have my gun with me." I look down feeling bad. He's right, I shouldn't have followed him. "I'm so sorry Caleb. It's all my fault."

"No, don't feel bad. I know you were just looking out for me and I appreciate it but please don't ever do that again. I can't bare to lose you as well." He whispers again looking away. "Who was the other girl that died?" He shuts his eyes tightly and then opens it again.

"I lied about Kira. She didn't cheat on me with the best friend." My jaw drops slightly and I can clearly see the guilt in his eyes. "I did love her though. That part I wasn't lying about." My heart pangs at his comment.

"She followed me as well and Blake ended up shooting her because he knew how much she meant to me. I don't blame her though. She was scared because I started lying to her about my whereabouts. I couldn't tell her that I had a father who was trying to take away my sister and mother but her life was in danger as well because she wasn't aware of it. Blake saw her with me that night she followed me and shot her. It was my fault. If I told her then maybe she would still be alive today. This is why I told you about Blake because I don't want your life to be in danger as well." He finishes with tears in his eyes. I wipe them away and give him a big hug.

"I'm so sorry Caleb..."

AN

Hey guysss! Hope you loved this chapter it was a juicy one. Also, today is my birthday and I just wanted to say that I am beyond grateful for all of you. Thank you for putting up with my lack of updates..lol. I love you guys so muchhh!!

like, comment, share

-Disneytrain