Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE

"T-thank you." He says when I hand him a mug of tea. I just give a smile and sit besides him on the sofa.

"I should be thanking you, Harry." I quietly say while looking at his hands. I look up into his eyes and see him give a small smile.

"I just w-wanted to make s-sure you w-were alright." He says after a few seconds.

"It really meant a lot. Thank you." I honestly say still looking into his emerald eyes. We stay silent for a while, just enjoying the company of each other while drinking our tea.

"Wh-" Harry starts to say but cuts himself off and shakes his head a bit.

"It's okay, you can ask me anything." I encourage him. 

I notice how usually if I were talking to someone from school I would be so nervous and shaky, but with Harry I am not. I guess because when I'm with him I get a strange boost of confidence since I feel like I should be helping him in a way.

"Erm, w-why were you c-crying e-earlier?" He asks in his quiet voice. I look down at my hands. I could feel my eyes stinging from all that crying. "S-s-sorry, y-you d-don't have t-to answer." He shakes his head again then bows his head down like he did something wrong.

"No it's fine." I want to tell him but I find this while situation weird since I have never been in one similar to this for a few years now. "Y-you saw what happened yesterday, right?" He looks up at me with wide, innocent eyes and nods his head. "They were continuing their verbal assault on me and I couldn't handle how they were treating me and I got a panic attack." I look down at my hands, scratching the side of the mug with my thumb.

"W-was that w-why you were also c-crying yesterday after sc-school?" I nod my head. "I don't understand how some people could be so mean." He whispers to himself. I try not to act too surprised from hearing him say a sentence so clearly without stuttering. I couldn't help but also notice how deep and raspy his voice sounded.

"I know." I breath out. I look at the clock and see it's four in the afternoon meaning he's been here for almost forty minutes now.

"I-I'm sorry they did t-that to you, Joelle." He sincerely says as he looks into my eyes. I smile.

"Thank you, Harry." 

"I-I have to go n-now." I immediately turn my head to look at him suddenly feeling a bit upset. I don't want him to go.

"O-okay." I follow him into the kitchen where he politely places his mug in the sink. I do the same with my mug and the watch him put on his converse. "Thank you again." He smiles at me.

"B-bye, Joelle." With one last look he opens the door and walks out before closing it behind him. 

"Bye, Harry." I whisper. 

I lock the door and turn around to go back to my room with a smile on my face.

"If you let them get to you then you are just telling them that they win." My cousin Amy tells me on the phone. "You need to stick up to yourself and show you have confidence. Put a smile on your face, that will kill those people." I nod feeling my nose sting. I hate being so sensitive.

"Or even tell someone, Joe. I don't like how those people could get away with everything bad they do." She's the person I talk to about the slight bullying that happens at school. My mum doesn't even know it happens.  

And Amy is completely right. That's why I know I could talk to her.

"I wish you lived here instead of New York." I sigh.