twenty-two

Harry knew he had to go back to school eventually. It was inevitable, but two weeks seemed a little too soon. He didn't feel as stable as he wanted to, but his parents didn't seem to care. He was going to school today whether he liked it or not and he definitely did not.

Harry was expecting a little more when he walked into the building. You know? Like the movies where everybody stopped and looked at him as he walked by or something like that. Instead, everybody just acted like they usually did.  To be honest, he was a little offended.

He walked to his locker, almost expecting Liam to be there. Instead, there was no one. Harry chuckled to himself; who would be at his locker? It's not like the boy made a big effort to have friends. 

Liam's locker was on the way to English class. Harry stopped and stared at the decorated metal as the guilt rose in his stomach. The locker looked beautiful. Students put out flowers, cookies, blankets, sweaters, basically, anything they could find laying around was surrounding Liam's locker. It had been a week, but students were still stopping and taking in the sight.

Harry felt horrible for it, but he was kind of pissed off at the situation. Liam had lots of friends, sure, but half these people probably didn't even know his name before he died. And now that he was dead, they were just using it as an excuse to cry in school and be late to class. 

One girl especially was getting on Harry's nerves. She carried a box of tissues on her and handed them out to everybody. She had a poster beside her reading 'Liam Payne, forever in our hearts'. Her brown bob bounced as she seemed excited to welcome the next group of tourists to this attraction.

"Tissue for you?" The girl approached Harry, smiling brightly on his face. She was very mousey with a high, nasally voice.

Harry just looked blankly at her. Who did she think she was? "Did you even know Liam?"

Her smile faltered slightly but quickly returned back to that annoying grin. "Not really, but I can make people feel better can't I?"

"Maybe people don't want to feel better," Harry mumbled, but she heard it clearly. It was kind of funny watching her short stature puff up in anger.

"I don't know if you realize this, but there has been a tragedy in this school," She rolled her eyes and gestured towards the locker. "I'm just trying to help... unlike you apparently."

"Look, kid, I get it okay, but can you stop attacking people in the hallway?"

"I'm probably older than you!"

Harry laughed a little to himself. She sounded so much like a five-year-old trying to get cookies, it was crazy.

"What are you laughing at? I'll have you know-"

"Leanne, just stop okay? I think he's had a rough week, just leave him alone," A very familiar voice rang through the hallway.

Leanne and Harry both turned their heads towards the source of the voice, Harry relived that he didn't have to put up with this any longer.

"Okay, whatever. Just don't let him get close to my memorial again." Then she actually huffed and stormed away. Harry couldn't help but laugh again at her childish antics. It was ridiculous.

"Harry, what were you doing to the poor girl?" Harry turned towards the voice, forgetting she was there. 

He didn't answer the question, instead, asking one himself. "Jaqueline, what are you doing here?"

The girl sighed, and let her blonde hair fall on her face. When they were dating, Harry never realized how pretty she was. Even as tired as she looked, her eyes still shone and her nose was perfect. She didn't look to be wearing much makeup, but her skin was smooth. Of course, Harry wasn't attracted to her, but he couldn't deny that she wasn't beautiful.