Chapter Five

My thoughts were constantly on Skye and Natasha. A part of me really wanted her to reject him, but another part of me wanted him to be happy. Would it really be that bad if he started to date Natasha? Could I be wrong about her?

What if I was right and she ended up hurting him? She had a reputation for playing the field.

I sat on the roof of the Red Flag with Tyler and Edith. Although Tyler was my best friend we never really hung out that much outside of school. A part of me wanted to lessen the risk of my school life, which already sucked, getting mixed up with my home life. You can never truly say how someone will react.

We all sat huddled on the wall overlooking the city. The city lights looked like stars hanging in the night sky. There was an old fashioned boom box playing music. Tyler drank a Coke and Edith ate an ice-cream. I sat with a Cream Soda. Edith's feet and my feet were hanging over the edge of the roof. There was a box of pizza lying next to us on the roof.

Overall this was actually very fun so far, nothing quite like junk food to set a mood.

Tyler sat next to me on the other side and he had a concerned expression on his face. It looked like he wanted to ask me something. Usually when this happened I tried anything and everything to avoid the questions that followed.

Edith stood up and walked towards the boom box.

"What is wrong?"

"Nothing. Why would anything be wrong?" I avoided looking at him. I could clearly see the outline of the ocean. I always found the ocean calming. Even when I was thrown off my board and flung left and right under the waters I still found it soothing. It was beautiful and dangerous. It was mine. It was a place where I belonged, where no one judged me. Suddenly I missed it more than anything. Would it really be the end of the world if I started to surf again?

"You know you can tell me anything, right?" I made eye contact with him and there was something honest and genuine about him. I have known for years that he liked me more than friends, but I always try to maintain our friendship. What if he changed the second we started dating? What if he lost interest? What if he got hurt?

I was trouble.

"I'm fine."

"She says with a broken heart and all the weight of the world on her shoulders." Tyler had a way with words. He confided in me once that he actually wanted to become a writer. He would make an excellent writer. He was good at telling stories. I wonder if he will one day tell our stories.

"Ha-ha"

"I'm serious. You can't keep pretending that you are fine, when you are obviously not."

"What about you? Are you okay?" I was a master at changing the subject.

"Not really, but I will be. I may not be where I want to be yet, but I am not where I used to be. That counts." He flashed me a grin and then stood up.