Chapter Three

I bit my lip as I walked towards Harper's front door

I bit my lip as I walked towards Harper's front door. It looked almost exactly the same as the night of the house party. Not a pot plant out of place. It was a darker shade of white, almost similar to the color of pearls. It was separated into two parts, but both of them were owned by the Brown family. They were the richest family in town and everyone knew them. If you walked through the CBD you would see their name everywhere.

I took the last excruciatingly slow step and began to knock on the door. I looked at my watch and saw that it was exactly five minutes past three.

I have to say that I am impressed with myself. I have this habit of always being late. He opened the door and already looked irritated. I wonder if he was born with that face. He was always frowning and scowling. Would it kill Harper Brown to smile?

"You are late" He stated and stepped back so that I could enter the house.

"I was actually early, but it took me like five minutes to get passed all the security. Your butler or whatever seemed to think that I was a serial killer. After that I had to wait a few more minutes for you to open the door. Did you get lost in the rough terrain of your house? It is probably super dangerous in there, right? We wouldn't want you to walk by a mirror and have to bare the shock of seeing your own face."

Take that Mister popular. One for McKenzie and Zero for Harper.

Was that rude?

I sometimes have this habit of saying exactly what I am thinking without putting it through a filter. Hashtag no filter.

"Shut up McKenzie. Let's just get this over with." He walked ahead of me and I reluctantly followed him. I am surprised the Browns did not end up losing each other in the house.

I would love to say that I managed to look like I could not care less where he lived, but I totally failed. I looked like a pelican while I stared at the inside of his house with my mouth hanging open. It was strange though. Although it was big and beautiful there were no pictures anywhere. No family portraits. No pictures of Christina and Harper when they were younger.

"Seriously McKenzie! Close your mouth. You have seen the inside of my house before."

"I know. This is not a house. It is a Hotel. What deep and dark secrets are hidden behind these walls?" I meant it as a joke, but the look he gave me made it look like he wanted to kill me.

Just my luck that we happened to walk into the kitchen at that moment filled with a large amount of sharp knives. I swallowed uncomfortably and stood in the middle of the kitchen. The kitchen looked like one of those fancy kitchens you would see in magazines and TV shows like Master Chef and Top Chef. Everything was silver and black. They had one walk-in fridge and a separate pantry as big as our house. Why would anyone need such a big fridge? Unless they all hide in it when the world gets taken over by Zombies or maybe they are serial killers and they hide bodies in there.