Chapter 4 - Changes Within

I walked inside my house, tears falling from my eyes when mom noticed me.

"Grace! What's wrong?," she reached to grab my arm, but I pulled away and went to my bedroom, "Grace!"

I closed my bedroom door from behind and threw my school bag on top of my bed.

I sat on the chair near my desk, elbow against the table, letting my tears fall on it.

"Grace...what on Earth--", mom found me crying, "Grace....what happened?"

I closed my eyes.

--

"It's your fault!"

"What are you talking about?", Britney replied to Joyce as crowds watched them argue.

"How could you let yourself ruin people's relationships?!"

Drake looked at the crowd, "Joyce...please don't do this.."

Joyce looked at him with anger in her eyes, "No...I won't stop. You have no idea how much Grace was trying to go through all of this."

"Joyce..."

"I am doing this to stand up for her and because I care about her!"

Drake was speechless.

"Now...aren't you supposed to go and chase Grace down or just let her cry with no explanation from you!!!"

He didn't know what to do.

"No way....Joyce," Britney placed a hand on her hip.

Joyce looked at her.

"Drake...has a date with me. We're going to go to a cafe and then stay all night at the karaoke bar!", she explained.

"Now...this is the main problem!", Joyce pointed at her.

"What?! Excuse me!", Britney talked back.

"Joyce..please calm down...", Drake spoke.

She clenched her fists and exhaled, looking down, "She was worried...she was always worried about you! She was worried you would fall into a bad influence all over again. SHe was worried she might lose you as a friend. She was worried...she was worried! She never really had the guts to tell you how she felt. So...that's why I'm talking to you right now! She.....she cares about you so much you idiot!! How do you think she felt when she saw you fight with Britney's ex-boyfriend and see you in this crazy outfit! That's not the guy Grace knows!"

Drake crossed his arms and looked down, thinking about my words before.

I looked down, "I...I don't think she is a good person.."

"What do you mean?"

I looked at him, "Drake...you do know that your past relationships with people like her never worked out. I'm worried that Britney might do the same to you."

He looked back at me and said, "I appreciate you being worried about me, but I like Britney and I want to have a chance with her. If something bad happens, I'll let you know. Thank you for trying to support me."

"Well....maybe I have changed," Drake spoke with a serious face.

Joyce gasped with surprise, "What?"

"Tell Grace that I'm sorry...but I have changed. Tell her I'm sorry that I worried her, but I like this path I'm on, and I would like it if she would just stop blocking me from walking this path."

Joyce was flabbergasted. SHe couldn't believe what he just said.

Drake turned around, "See you in a week."

Britney giggled as she held hands with Drake. She flashed an evil grin towards Joyce as they walked off.

Joyce shook her head with anger, "You're both terrible...."

THe crowds dispersed, leaving Joyce alone at the school entrance.

--

Saying the news was not going to be easy at all.

Joyce kept on thinking what to say as she walked towards my house to make sure I was okay.

She knocked on the door and rang the doorbell as my mom answered with a sad face, "Joyce..."

"Hello...is Grace okay?", Joyce asked.

Mom looked down, "I tried to talk to her...but it didn't seem like she wanted to talk with me. I'll let her know you are here."

Joyce smiled in reply, "Okay."

Mom walked upstairs and kocked on my door, "Grace....Joyce is here. Can she come inside?"

I sat on my bed with my knees near my chest as I said, "Yes. She can come in."

"Okay."

Mom looked at Joyce with a smile and beckoned her to come over.

She gave her permission to let Joyce walk inside, she spoke, "Grace?"

I looked at her revealing my tear streaked face as she ran over and pulled me into a hug, "Grace!"

I hugged her back as I sobbed, "Joyce...."

She patted my back, "You look terrible...have you been crying all this time?"

I nodded.

"My goodness...that's not very healthy."

"I can't help it," my voice was muffled as she pulled away and wiped my tears with her hands.

"Well...I'm here," she said with a smile.

I sniffed, "W-What happened when I left?"

"I talked to Drake and Britney."

"Really? Did...did you get into a fight?"

I shook my head, gratefully, "No. We just had an arguement."

"Argument?"

"I told confront Drake about how much you were worried about him. It seemed like my words got him a little bit, but he pushed those feelings away," she looked down with frustration.

"What do you mean?"

"He did apologize for hurting you, but...he said he has changed.."

"Huh?"

"He wants to continue to be with Britney and walk a new path. He wants you to stop worrying about him and leave him alone."

I looked down, "No way...."

"I know...he's a jerk along with that Britney. She flashed me an evil smile and I just wanted to slap her."

I looked at her with a grin, "Thank you, Joyce...for standing up for me."

She smiled back, "That's what friends are for, right?"

"Yeah..unlike Drake..."

It was silent as Joyce placed her hand on my shoulder, "Don't worry, Grace. Just leave him alone...there will be a day when he will be back in need of your help. He wil regret saying what he said. Everything he has done..will hit him back."

I nodded, "You're right."

"Glad you understand. There is still his real self in him. Just have to wait until he realizes what stupid crap he has done to you and everyone else he has affected. Until then...you have to stop crying...you have to smile again."

"I will!"

Mom looked at us through the crack of the door wiht a smile of relief as Joyce and I both hugged again.

Everything Joyce said was true.

I can't keep crying like this because of Drake's mistakes...

I have to move on...and when the time comes...I will decide what to do from there.