23 | welcomed

Personally, I thought the BBQ was going wonderfully until the faithful moment when Theo decided it was a great time to announce that he had found his mate and I was his mate. 

It was a given that Theo was going to make a speech, regarding of having mate. He told me that every BBQ that was held, the Alpha must always give a speech. It sounded slightly Thanksgiving to me, but nonetheless -- it's how they do it in this pack. 

I wasn't complaining, I thought this whole idea of a pack BBQ was wonderful, and it kept the pack morale alive. My pack has nothing like this, if you don't talk to someone for a while because they don't live close enough to you then tough luck-- catch up on your  own time.

During the BBQ, I felt very welcomed by everyone. Kara and Kai were the only ones-- other than Grey and Eliza at the moment-- that knew about me being Theo's mate. After the initial shock of realising that I was actually Theo's mate they were both supportive and they couldn't hold their happiness for their Alpha.

I think I even saw Kara cry a little, later explaining to me that she was overwhelmed. It meant that this pack was going to have a Luna again-- their last Luna being Theo's mother as his uncle never found his Luna, which meant their pack was Luna-less for twenty years. 

No one other than them know that I was Theo's mate, however they continued to welcome as if I was one of them seeing that I was gratefully protected by Eliza and Kara, along with Grey and Kai. 

Sadly, Theo was rarely with us. While this was a BBQ for the pack to let loose and enjoy their day bathing in the sun, work seemed the follow him away as the Gamma-- who knew about me being Theo's mate however kept it to himself-- constantly pulled him away, and multiple people had come up to Theo and spoke to him about things that would make him frown.

I watched from a distance as Theo would occasionally frown and grit his teeth at his pack members, this happy day being ruined for him because of the amount of work that seemed to be drowning him.

I felt bad, I wanted to help him.

Theo sent me a sly wink as he made his way to face the pack, everyone standing in a large crowd waiting for their Alpha to speak. There was a stage and mic ready and it wowed me how much they got set up for this BBQ. 

I mean, there were hundreds of people--there was going to be a lot set up.

During his speech, I droned out-- the nerves that I was once feeling were coming back like a rush. I couldn't hear anything that Theo was saying as I thought over and over again what would happen when he told his pack I was his mate.

I mean, I doubt they would have pitchforks out at the ready to end me but I couldn't help but let my mind wander at such thoughts. 

You couldn't tell that I was Alpha Hayden's daughter by a glance, no one here knew what I looked like. I was never out of the territory and if there were any battles or fights, I was-- just like any other woman or child in my pack-- locked away until it was safe.

Regardless, if they chose to accept me as Theo's mate, would they accept me as their Luna after learning that I was Alpha Hayden's daughter which I was sure Theo would have to tell them at some point?

I felt a nudge at my side and my head whipped over to see Eliza sending a pointed look. "Stop it, you're siccing yourself out for no reason." I sighed, looking away and at Theo to see him glancing through his pack members with pride in his eyes. 

He loved his pack, so I wasn't sure what would happen if they hated me-- would he leave them for me? Probably not. His pack was like his family, he wouldn't choose me over them.  

"If I love you despite your family, then they will love you just as much." I heard Eliza speak behind me, her hand placed on my shoulder as she rubbed reassuringly. "You will be a wonderful Luna for this pack." I rolled my eyes, looking back at her for a moment.

"How could you know that?" Her jokey and cheery manner had vanished for a moment, a soft calming smile on her face as she looked at me.

"I know it, and deep down you know it you're just scared. You shouldn't be." She gave a look I couldn't decipher before turning back to Grey who nonchalantly threw an arm over her shoulder as she nuzzled toward into him. 

Was I scared to be a Luna?  I mean  I had never thought about being a Luna, during my life I had never expected to have my mate be an Alpha-- it was pure luck. Mates could be anyone, it wasn't just Alpha blood to Alpha blood-- in this case it was pure luck that both Theo and I were from an Alpha bloodline. 

Despite having Alpha blood, I was never conditioned to lead-- I watched my mother and father do that for years and it drained them both at times. When my mother got sick, all of the jobs that she held fell on top of my father and for a while it looked as if he was suffocated. He got angry a lot and his patience was almost non-existent. 

Would that happen with Theo and I? It was clear that being a lone leader had been tiring Theo for years now but he had come accustomed to it. But was I? Could I deal will leading such a big pack having never led anything in my life?

Surely, with Theo there next to me I wouldn't fall as quickly-- now that's being optimistic. 

I looked back up a Theo, his eyes on me as a fade smile was found on his face. 

"Now, I know there has been told about the pack for the past couple weeks. I, just like all of you, have ears." My ears perked up as I realised what Theo was about to say. The nerves that I was feeling before had increased as if it was fire in my stomach-- I felt sick. 

Theo glanced at me for a second, a warm smile on his face which calmed the nerves slightly but they were still there and they were still munching on me like I was last night's pizza leftover. 

"The rumors are true, after ten years I have finally found my mate-- your Luna." At his words, the crowd of pack members erupted in cheers. Everyone seemed ecstatic. Theo looked back at me, his head cocking to the side slightly, gesturing me to come up next to him. I almost didn't go until Eliza sent another jab at me back, causing me to sent her a glare before standing up from my seat and making my way to Theo. 

The crowd had quietened down by the time I made it to Theo, looking around I saw people with their eyes filled with curiosity, some with their eyes opened wide with realisation. 

Theo snaked an arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him. I felt my cheeks heat up at his slight sign of affection. I couldn't help it, we were in front of a huge crowd. 

"This," His eyes fell upon me as he spoke,  his smile so wide that his dimples were available for the world to see. "Is your Luna and my mate, Holly." Again, the crowd erupted with cheers, louder than before and I buried my face in the nape of Theo's neck to hide the smile on my face.

They were happy. 

I couldn't stop smiling at the sound the Theo's pack roaring in glee. Theo's arm tightened around waist as he placed a kiss upon my head, his nose nuzzling into my hair as he breathed in my scent. 

I felt warm in his embrace as my arms wrapped around his torso. 

"See," He whispered in my hair, giving it another kiss. "I knew they'd love you, you had nothing to worry out." 

I pulling slightly away from Theo, turning my head so I could look at the crowd in front of us. 

I saw happiness on everyone's faces-- after ten years they could finally say they had a Luna. Searching through the crowd I noticed a young woman in the middle, her arms crossed as her eyes narrowed towards Theo and I.

Who was she?

But at the moment, I could care less who she was and why she wasn't giving me such a look-- my nerves that were once overwhelming my body had vanished and I felt warm to the touch. 

I felt welcomed.