Chapter Thirty-Two

seems to be for us. James leads us away from the fire and back to the building where we’ll be sleeping. Everyone else stays around the fire.

There was no clear hint as to whether we were likely going to be able to stay or forced out. Everyone seemed curious or skeptical. There were no outright protests or clear acceptance.

We enter the sleeping building.

Piper asks, “Do you have those meeting every night?”

Bridget shoots Piper a glare, probably for simply talking, but Piper pretends not to notice.

James explains, “We’s a-eat supper all together and we’s a-talk about impor’nt things, but we’s don’t a-have formal meetin’s every night.”

I don’t recognize the word ‘supper’ but I’m guessing it has to be something similar to Late Meal.

Bridget says, “Oh that makes sense.”

I have a feeling that Bridget says this just because, as she says, she wants ‘some of the attention’ on her. She probably can’t stand Piper saying more than her.

James seems to realize that there is some type of tension going on between Bridget and Piper. He just awkwardly nods, his eyes shifting between the two of them.

James nods again, “Well, I’s best be a-goin’.”

He rushes out of the room, leaving us alone again.

Canton addresses everyone, “Did anyone get any idea from the crowd about whether we were going to be forced out of the village or not?”

Bridget answers quickly, before anyone else can, “They seemed to really hate us.”

What is she talking about? They didn’t seem to hate us at all. They simply seemed to be curious.

Piper argues, “I don’t know, I don’t think they seemed very hostile. I think they were just interested in our story. No one said anything openly hateful or mean to us.”

Brinn agrees, “Nobody asked how long we were staying or anything, either.”

I point out, “They may be discussing that right now, though.”

 “We need to get ourselves some supplies as fast as possible. I may not necessarily like stealing, but it seems like it’s essential to our survival.” Canton says.

We all voice our agreement.

Piper gets a mischievous smile on her face, “What if we do it now? While everyone is at the meetings?”

“But that will be a lot more people to see us,” Brinn points out.

“True,” Piper agrees, “but it’s dark and everyone is in one place. Plus, with the fire’s unpredictable lighting, if someone does see our silhouettes or something, they might just think it’s a trick of the light from the fire.”

Canton says, “I think now is our best chance. If they are deciding our fate, we might be forced out tomorrow, maybe even tomorrow morning.”

I add, “And if anyone asks, we were looking for the bathrooms. We got lost in the darkness.”

Brinn grins, “I like where we are going with this, but…” her expression saddens, “I think I should stay back. My ankle will slow us down and I’m a horrid liar. I’ll only get us caught.”

Piper opens her mouth to argue, but Brinn stops her, “Don’t try to argue with me. I’ve made up my mind. It’ll be better for everyone.”

Piper reluctantly agrees. We converse for a few more minutes before come up with a mediocre plan. Most of it will rely on spur of the moment decisions and simply rolling with whatever happens.