Chapter Twenty-Eight

Piper responds first, “What?” she asks.

Spara jabs her finger at the hologram generator clutched in her hand. The pale, blue light is barely visible in the daylight. The screen glows a blank blue. Spara impatiently explains, “We’s be just a-lookin’ at yer things, a-seein’ what ya have, and suddenly this thing a-lights up and we’s see  a face on it. They’s a-realized that we weren’t ya, and a-shut it down. Ya should have a-told us this would a-happen.”

The Officials said that once we reached the village, there would be a way to contact them. This must be the way they are planning on getting in touch with us. But, this isn’t the village that we are supposed to be going to. It’s way too small to be the village to support everyone in the Complex, Unknown, and the other Complexes.

Why’d they contact us if we weren’t in the right village?

Maybe they activated the hologram once we got a certain distance away from the Complex.

Spara questions, “Well? Ya be a-havin’ a good excuse or what? I’s a-know ya can a-talk.”

Piper truthfully says, “We didn’t know that the hologram was a way of communication.”

Nikolas barges into the conversation, “Does this a-mean they can a-track ya?”

Piper hesitantly nods, “They might have some type of tracker located somewhere, I don’t know.”

If they do have some type of tracker, the rogue Officials and Derek are probably the only ones who can see it.

What if we do have trackers on us that the loyal Officials can see? What if this is still just a game? What if Ellen and Derek want the Officials track us down. Just for fun. For entertainment.

 By living with these people, are we putting them in danger? My thoughts immediately flit to Rose. What if she was killed just because I was here? I wouldn’t put it past Ellen to murder all these innocent people.

We need to leave. We can’t stay here. We can’t endanger everyone here.        

I force myself to take deep breaths. I’m just being paranoid.

Nikolas keeps his face completely emotionless, his voice entirely flat, “Are people after you?”

Piper shakes her head, “I doubt it. We covered our tracks and have people on the inside helping us.”

Spara sends Nikolas a look. Whatever they were arguing about earlier, they still haven’t come to an agreement.

They must be arguing over us. Spara doesn’t want us to stay in the village. She has hated us from the beginning. She’s most likely using everything we say in the argument against us.

Are Spara and Nikolas considering kicking us out of the village?