Chapter Twenty-Nine

Spara steps wordlessly in the room, the door closing behind her.

She says, “It’d be in ya best interests ta a-hand this Taser over.”

Nobody moves, we all stare silently back. I sneak a glimpse at Bridget. She’s smirking, like she’s happy that I got us caught.

 “Ya best a-give it ta me. Ya don’t a-want Nikolas a-findin’ out about yer lies.”

Spara probably wants the Taser so that she can take it to Nikolas and prove that we are liars. She wants it at evidence against us so she can get us kicked out of the village.

“I’s a-heard all that ya said. There be no a-hidin’ it. Now, which one of ya be Piper? I’s know ya have it.”

Bridget dramatically looks at Piper, making it clear who Piper really is. I can’t believe Bridget would sell Piper out so quickly. Not only is she getting Piper in trouble, but she’s giving away a chance for us to defend ourselves with the Taser.

What if they abandon us somewhere outside this village, without any supplies? We need the Taser to defend ourselves.

Piper lies, “It’s still in our bag.”

Bridget has the audacity to laugh when Piper says this.

Spara frowns at Bridget.

Why does Bridget have to choose now to fight?

“I’s a-know ya have it. Yer, uh, friend here has a-made that a-clear.”

Piper mutters so that only I can hear, “I’m not sure about friend….”

Spara holds out her hand. Piper sends me a look saying, Should I give it to her?

I look to Canton. He subtly nods.

We can’t risk getting hurt. It’s only going to make our situation worse if we fight back.

Piper slips the Taser out of the waistband of her skirt and reluctantly hands it over to Spara.

Spara flashes a triumphant, arrogant smile and leaves the building.

I immediately turn to Bridget, “What was that? Why would you do that? Don’t you want to survive?”

Bridget lets out a disdainful laugh, “I just showing Piper how easily her lies can be destroyed and shoved back in her face. Maybe, if Piper had let other people do the talking, we won’t be in this mess. Not to mention, you also need to practice keeping your mouth shut.”

“Maybe, if you realized that starting an argument would complicate things a lot more, we wouldn’t be on our way to dying.”

Bridget glares and takes a step closer, “Don’t you try to pin this on me. It’s your fault that Spara found out about the Taser.”

I shout, “It’s your fault that this argument is happening right now. We don’t need this. We have enough problems as is.”

Bridget crosses her arms, “You know what, I actually agree with you. We have a lot of problems, one of them being Piper thinking she’s better than everyone else.”

Piper rejoins the argument, “I don’t think that. At least I don’t purposefully sell out other people.”

Bridget stares her down, “I already explained that. I was showing you how horrible you are at lying.”

“By putting us even more at risk.” I yell.

Bridget rolls her eyes, “I can’t believe that you are being so dim. When you come to your senses, I’ll consider talking to you again.”