Chapter Twenty-Seven

Spara shouts at Nikolas, “I’s can’t believe yer actin’ like this. I’s thought ya’d be a-better than this.”

Spara storms out of the doorway. Nikolas yells after her, “Ya be the one who’s actin’ foolish. We’ll be regretin’ the dec’sion after too long.”

Nikolas follows Spara, muttering under his breath.

James shifts uncomfortably from foot to foot.

Rose giggles, “They’s should get a-married. Then they’s can a-fight all the time.”

A stubborn grin touches James’ face, “Ya know that’s not what marriage be all about.”

Rose’s face turns serious, “Did ya and mom ever a-fight.”

James’ smiles sadly, “We’s did a-little, but less than Arrie and her husband.”

“That’d be a-good.”

James sadly murmurs, “Yeah, it’d be a-good.”

None of us know what Rose and James are talking about. I add the word ‘marriage’ to my growing list of words I don’t understand.

Piper tries to break the growing silence, “So, there are one of these objects in each building?”

James distractedly says, “Yeah, we’s a-have no idea what they’d a-be for.”

Piper nods, but doesn’t say anything more.

James seems to break out of his trance, “Right, uh, we’s should, uh, be a-goin’ somewhere. Maybe I’s can a-find Spara and a-see what sleepin’ buildin’ ya be a-stayin’ in.”

We follow him out of the toilets and back out into the village.

The ground, outside the buildings, constructed from trampled grass mixed with the occasional stone. The uneven ground makes me stumble and trip. I’m used to the Complex’s smooth, flat floors, not rough pathways.

James runs a hand through his hair. I catch the glimpse of two people entering a village, but otherwise the village seems empty.

Bridget asks, “How many people live in this village?”

James shrugs, “There be about thirty.”

 “Where is everyone?”

 “We’s be a-needin’ lots of different things here in this village. Everyone’s out a-doin’ work. We’s don’t have time ta relax. Arrie a-watches the young-uns durin’ the day.”

Canton asks, “How many, uh, young-uns are there?”

 “Well, there be my own young-un, Rose—”

Rose interrupts, “I’s not be a young-un, Daddy, ya know that. I’s be six in just a few days.”

Canton stands straighter, “Graduation Day is just in a few days?”

Graduation Day was filled with importance and faked gratitude for Ellen. It was the day we all became a new year. It was one of the few days we had off from Teachings.

I’ll never celebrate another Graduation Day.

Rose’s delicate eyebrows crinkle together, “Gra-du-ay-shun Day? What’s that be?”

Canton explains, “It’s when everyone turns a year older.”

Rose frowns, “Everyone on the same day?”

We all nod.

Rose bursts into giggles, “Ya be really strange. We’s don’t all a-turn older on the same day. We’s weren’t all a-born on the same day.”